Port Labels in Different Alphabets?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Moses Botbol

Port Labels in Different Alphabets?

Post by Moses Botbol »

Has vintage port been released in different alphabets like Hebrew, Chinese, Arabic, Greek, etc?

Any pictures?
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: Port Labels in Different Alphabets?

Post by Roy Hersh »

I've never seen Port labeled in another language, except for that which they speak in the UK. :mrgreen:

Although bottlings which were done in Paris, I've seen some of the words written in French. Sorry I can't be more help.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

I have seen Port labels in different European languages but never one in a different alphabet.
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

In the two years that I've been in the middle east I've never seen a bottle of wine or port with a label in Arabic script. Not even in Lebanon or Syria, where they produce wine and where it would seem logic to do so. Here in the gulf states it certainly won't happen. Wine is a tolerated product, that can be sold (under strict conditions) to non-muslims, but promotion of any sort is forbidden. So all wine, beer, spirits etc are imported, and it is more common to see a US or UK label on a French wine or Port than it is to see any mention of the middle east.
But enough about me, what do YOU think of me? -- Johnny Bravo
oscarquevedo

Post by oscarquevedo »

I've never seen it Moses.