When do you drink Madeira?

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

When do you drink Madeira?

Post by Andy Velebil »

Although I drink Port and Madeira year-round many people talk about only drinking Port during the cooler months of the year, or at least significantly reducing their consumption in the summer. Does the same apply to you when you drink Madeira? Or is it something you enjoy year-round regardless of the weather?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Re: When do you drink Madeira?

Post by Eric Ifune »

Malvasia mainly in winter, but the other varieties year round. The acidity helps, one reason Madeira was favored in the hot humid Eastern seaboard in the 19th C.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I drink Madeira year round. 90% of the Madeira I drink is Broadbents 10 year, but it's all good, any time any place :salute:
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Espen S.

Post by Espen S. »

I never had one.

[shok.gif]

Yes yes, I know. That will change. Please don't kick me out.
very imPORTant person
Niklas J

Post by Niklas J »

Whenever I feel for it! There's always some open bottles at home so the mood will determine....but I have to confess that the 10 YO Verdelho from Barbeito is my all time favourite and consumed fasther than a Boal...

Thinking of opening a Tinta Negra Mole single vineyard now when the weather is so nice 8--)
Niklas Jorgensen

Remember this in 25 years or so; 2012 is a great year for Madeira wine!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I think the weather matters not. I plan to drink about 75-100 of them over the next 80 hours and it is quite warm here ... at least for me, coming from Seattle. 8--)
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Peter Reutter

Post by Peter Reutter »

For me this is a question of mood. I have my standard 10yo Madeiras for desert, afternoon or a long breakfast sunday morning (morning malmsey - great thing to do!) and usually some "leftovers" from tastings that wait to be finished off and these I drink later at night on their own without any food. I drink Madeira at about 3-4 days per week, probably 2 or 3 bottles per month. That does not sound like much, but together with some other wines I drink at lunch or dinner, I think it is enough to have the most of the pleasant taste and the health benefits.
Peter
*Wine makes poets of us all!* Hamilton in Silas Weir Mitchell's A Madeira Party.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I guess the best answer would be, "early and often." :salute:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

I think I have only drunk Madeira on three or four occassions in my life. I have sipped, swirled and spat a handful at trade tastings but in terms of sitting down with a glass I could definitely count those occassions on the fingers of one hand.

The youngest Madeira that I have had a glass of is a 1912 Verhelho that Roy served me in Oporto. The others two or three were from there to 50 years older. I have been spoiled. I would find it very difficult to go out and buy a bottle of young Madeira with any sense of anticipation that it would be a pleasurable experience to drink it.

Help!!

Derek
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Derek,

Look for a 1968 D'Oliveiras Bual and let me know what you think. It may be young ... for a Madeira, but it is legendary for tasting much older. It is a beautiful young Madeira and shows the promise of a great oldie at a great QPR. There are others, but this would be what I'd suggest for you, knowing a bit about your palate.
Llyn Strelau

Post by Llyn Strelau »

If I had more in my cellar I would drink it far more frequently (I am working to remedy this oversight). From my (sadly) limited experience I think there is a suitable variety of Madeira for almost any occasion or time of year. I am particularly fond of Sercial almost any time but enjoy sweeter wines either after dinner or with the compatible food. Madeira's marvelous acid balance keeps it refreshing.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Llyn,

Thanks for posting, a nice surprise to see you here!