Honeymoon in Porto

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Simon Cabral

Honeymoon in Porto

Post by Simon Cabral »

Hi All,

Long time reader of ther forum. I thought I would register & post to see if I could get some advice from the pros!

I'll be visiting Porto in July for 3 days on my honeymoon & was looking for some recommendations on things to do! So far on our list is...

- Cafe Majestic
- Porto stadium tour
- Port house visits
- Vinoligia

Any other must do's in Porto?

Thanks,

Simon
Eric Menchen

Re: Honeymoon in Porto

Post by Eric Menchen »

There are some typical tourist things to do, like see the inside of Sao Francisco and climb the Torre dos Clérigos if you are up for it. Other books, etc. will recommend those. My recommendation would be to have dinner at the Taylor restaurant one evening. Make a reservation to get a table with a view.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Eric Menchen wrote:My recommendation would be to have dinner at the Taylor restaurant one evening. Make a reservation to get a table with a view.
+1. Lunch would also work, but it might be a bit warm out on the patio in July.

Tromba Rija down on the riverwalk in Vila Nova de Gaia is also a great restaurant and was one of my favorites during my visits in 2007 and 2008. (The website is in Portuguese.)

Another fun Port visit is the Solar do Vinho do Porto, which is not far from the Jardins do Palacio de Cristal (Crystal Palace Gardens) in Porto. Like the Taylor restaurant, they also have a beautiful patio overlooking the river and a very large selection of Port by the glass.
Glenn Elliott
Simon Cabral

Post by Simon Cabral »

Glenn/Eric,

Thanks for the restaurant recommendations. I can't believe I forgot to specifically ask for resto recommendations in my initial post!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

What part of the world do you live in?

Great honeymoon destination choice. :scholar:

I agree with Glenn that the Solar do Vinho do Porto is a must. Also a visit to the Palacio da Bolsa and do the tour. Don't miss the Ferreira Port Lodge. Take a cab ride and find Artemisia for dinner, it is close enough to the Solar that you could make that your dessert destination.

I hope you will join us in more discussions here before you leave for your honeymoon and certainly thereafter. [cheers.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Roy Hersh wrote:Also a visit to the Palacio da Bolsa and do the tour.
Lunch there can be nice as well. Now that I think about it, you really should check out my photo albums linked below there in my signature line. There is an album for Porto, one for V.n.d.G., one for going up the Douro, and a few others. The Bolsa and lunch there are in the Porto album, photos 12-18.
Paul_B

Post by Paul_B »

I also recommend eating at Taylor's... I had a fabulous lunch there with my wife.
We stayed at Hotel Pestana and had a room with a view on the Gaia cellars. At night all the shipper's brands light up their logos (neons) and from our room sipping some Port looking out at that, we were in Port heaven... even the bath tub had a view of those neons...

congratulations by the way

/Paul