2003 Fonseca Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Frederick Blais

2003 Fonseca Vintage Port

Post by Frederick Blais »

One of the few top producer 2003 I haven't taste yet. I had to replace a bottle so I chose this. From half bottle, not decanted but opened for 5 hours.

The color is immensely dark, black with dark purple edge. Nose is quite close right now, after opening it was primary dark cherry jam. Now, the classic Fonseca chocolate flavour has arrived, some sweet wood tones too and exotic spices. Mouth is full and dense but everything seems light and fresh with keen acidity, tannins have nice grain and not too hard, very sweet flavours of cherry, cassis and bitter dark chocolate on the finale. Everything is smooth, well balanced, well built and will last obviously for decades. 17.5/20+

Right now it is not the VP 2003 that gives the most fun to drink, but it will reward waiting for a few years. It reminds me a lot of Vesuvio, with more fruit concentration.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I think that this bottle in particular (although I am not expert with 375s) would have benefitted significantly with another 5+ hours of aeration in decanter.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Roy, to add some information, the port that I took for the tasting notes was in the glass for 2 hours prior to the tasting note to give it kind of decanter effect. I knew I could not finish the bottle the same night, so I left some to keep its freshness the longer possible.

Now I'm revisiting the Fonseca 2003 again almost 18 hours later and it is pretty much the same. The chocolate flavours have become a bit more obvious. I've made it taste to a friend who knows very much how to taste port and his comments was also concentrated and silky! I've just read the notes from the cask you have made, as you mention, concentration but a feminine Port.

I think that at this stage of life, there is no great difference between half and full bottle IMO.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company