Virtual Tasting: Fonseca Bin 27

This forum is designed to help facilitate virtual tastings.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Frederick Blais

Virtual Tasting: Fonseca Bin 27

Post by Frederick Blais »

Hey guys, time to start the new month with Andy's selection this time. I did not have bought the bottle yet, but I'll probably do this week. As soon as I open it I'll post the pictures too.

For those who missed the previous topics, you can read them here :

http://fortheloveofport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=920

http://fortheloveofport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=921

Last edited by Frederick Blais on Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

I'll go and buy one and report back!
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Me too - when are we planning to taste?

Derek
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Start posting your notes now.

I will be a couple of days before I get to mine. I just returned from several days in Las Vegas for work. Had to run a very steep 6.2 mile leg of a 120 mile relay run. Needles to say the legs are a bit wobble, and that is without any port in my system :roll: .
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I'm in - assuming that I can find somewhere to sell a bottle to me.

Alex
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Alex (and anyone else in the UK),

Morrisons and Somerfield normally stock this priced anywhere between £7 - £10 a bottle.

Derek
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

OK. Got my bottle and ready to taste. I'll probably open and decant this at the weekend. Does that fit in with the timetable that you had in mind Fred?

Alex
Frederick Blais

Alex, there is not really a time frame set. You have the hole month of April to taste and post your review, comments about this wine. I bought my bottle today, I'll probably put my tasting notes later tonight and drink the rest over the week.

Edit : Well... My bottle is corked
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I plan to drink the wine at my normal pace - 1 to 2 glasses per night over a 4-5 day period. I will write a tasting note for each evening and see if the wine drops off as quickly as a VP would do.

Alex
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

OK guys, I'll start things off...........

I have not decanted this wine. I opened it last night and had 1 glass (didn't take a note :oops: ) and then re-corked it.

From memory, there is no appreciable difference in smell from last night to tonight. No real power in the fruit and slightly spirity on the nose. Enrty is very sweet and light but then suddenly heavy, dry and tannic on the palate with a kick of alcohol on the back of the tongue that fades quickly. The finish is somewhat dry and bitter, although quite long.

I am quite disappointed with this wine - I wish it was as attractive as the bottle :P

Will try again tomorrow and report back.

Derek
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

The last time I had this was almost 2 years ago, when I was still new to ports. At that time I really enjoyed it, so I was excited to try it again now that I have more experience with port.

I opened this, and put it in the fridge, Monday afternoon to let it breath for a bit before giving it a proper tasting. When I opened it, I was taken aback by how much alcohol came from it. It was absolutely eye watering I took a very small sip, just to make sure I did not have a bad bottle. Not bad, but it was way to hot to enjoy at that point. To put it better, it was revolting! Not wanting to write it off, I figured on giving it a couple days in the fridge to see if it would mellow out a bit. So I have now come back to it, about 48 hours later.

A dark center that fades slightly to a ruby red. Nose is much more integrated than 48 hours earlier. That overpowering heat has diminished and there is smells of berries. The palate is a medium viscosity with very little fruit, mostly overpowered by the heat. The mid-palate and finish is overpowered by that heat. I actually felt like I was drinking a cognac it was so hot. I agree with Derek that there is a sudden heavy, dry , and very tannic kick. However that too is overtaken by the heat that comes back up the throat.

I will say this is no where near what I last remember. Considering I love Fonseca products, this one I will not buy again unless a change has been brought.

If I had to score it…9 out of 20:!:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

They probably did a new blend... Just as Andy, I've tasted it 2 years ago and I really enjoyed the amount of fruit and balance the wine was showing. I recommended it to a few people and they all had positive experience. It is very sad that a successful product in the past years show so bad quality from what you guys have tasted so far. I should probably get another bottle and taste it late Thursday or Saturday.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

I also remember enjoying this wine 2 or 3 years ago. As I understand it this is one ot the most popular Fonseca products on the market so it would be very surprising and a great shame if they have changed the blend so dramatically. Perhaps it is our tastes that are changing more than this wine :?

Derek
Steven Kooij

Post by Steven Kooij »

This used to be a real favorite of mine, but somehow I did not taste it for three years or so...so this was a good excuse to open a bottle.

Bought the day of tasting (E 14,95), opened and tasted non-blind from the IVDP-glass.
Looks good, dark, with a ruby red rim.
Nice nose: quite potent, fresh, with red berry fruit and violets.
Medium bodied, smooth (if initially a bit too hot for my taste - this faded with a bit more time in the glass). Good ripe fruit character with dark chocolate on the midpalate. It does fade a bit if you keep it longer in the mouth.
Pleasant finish, warm going down and again chocolate.

All in all a nice glass of Port. It could use a bit more stuffing - and at this price it has to compete with a lot of LBVs. Still, ideal for casual drinking: Ronnie and I came close to finishing the bottle over the course of the evening. Points? I give this one 83 - a good Port. Nice choice, Fred!
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

Tasted it last night together with Stevie: nice chocolate and cherry nose, with some floral aromas. Somewhat alcoholic, but not off-putting. A good taste of fresh red fruit: cherries, strawberries and some figs, accompanied by bitter chocolate. Finish lacks a bit of interest, mainly syrupy. Decent port with a pleasant structure and nice character. 83 points indeed.

Stevie is completely right though that this port is in a price range where it has to compete with LBV's (e.g. the Crasto LBV is only €1 more expensive at the same store). It should be a couple of euros cheaper to be a good QPR, but I enjoyed it nevertheless.

Andy: since this is a filtered port, it shouldn't need to breath at all, it should be fine straight from the bottle.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Ronnie,

I should have been more clear. The reason for letting it get some air was due to the intense alcoholic heat from it. I wanted to see if it would blow off and settle down a bit. I just tried it again and it literaly caused me to cough on the finish, the alcohol was so prevelant.

Derek,
I know my palate has changed 8) but this is no where near where I remember it. I remember it being much more fruit forward and less spirity. As Fred suggested, maybe they changed the blend a bit.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

I tried my bottle again last night and if anything it was hotter and drier than the previous night.

I don't think this represents good value when compared with say a Noval LBV which was for sale in the same store for only £1 more than this.

It is interesting that the experience of the 4 tasters to post so far seems to be completely split down the middle. If Fonseca have changed the blend, I wonder if we are all tasting the same wine?

Derek
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

I don't know if they changed the blend. I only know that the port Stevie and I tasted was in a bottle with the new (and ugly) label.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Ronnie,

Was it the same as the label pictured in Fred's opening post on this thread?

Derek
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

Yes that's it. I liked the old labels much better!