New Enhancements for FTLOP's TNDB
Written by Roy Hersh
Saturday, 17 November 2012 04:52
David Spriggs has been working with FTLOP for a half decade behind the scenes. He plays a vital role in programming, security of the Forum and website and so much more. David is one of the key programmers for Yahoo.com and was the very 1st individual to sign up for the inaugural FTLOP Port Harvest Tour back in 2005.
In 2009, David created one of the most successful and popular areas of our website, when he developed our tasting note database, (TNDB). With over 8,000+ Port tasting notes, and loads of Madeira and Douro TN's as well, David has continued to develop this important tool. He recently implemented some new functionality which will make your search for tasting notes easier and faster!
To visit the TNDB, click here: http://www.fortheloveofport.com/tndb/search.php
Here is the list of the new TNDB improvements:
- When a single wine is shown there is a new "Other Vintages" field in the header. This allows you to quickly jump between different vintages of the same wine.
- When multiple wines are shown, you will now see a button that shows how many unique wines were found. If you click on the button you will see a popup menu that has all of the wines. If you select one of the menu items you’ll be taken directly to that particular wine. The list of wines is sorted by vintage with the non-vintage (NV) wines at the bottom.
- Changes to the Alphabetic Index:
- Added letter index shortcuts at the top of the index pages. Click on a letter and you will go to the first wine starting with that letter. For example, click on the "S" and you will go to S. Leonardo. Click on the "T" and you go to Taylor.
- We now show the score for each TN in the index (but not Roy's scores). We also show the overall score for each wine and vintage in the index.
- Made the Alpha and Vintage Indexes much more cacheable. This increases the performance when you click on a TN in the index to view it, and then hit the back button to go back to the index. The current caching is for 5 minutes, so after you view the index, you will not see any new TNs in the index for 5 minutes.
- Cleaned up some of the tasting date formatting and the instructions associated with that.
- We now only show the tasting date associated with the TN (the first post). Any comments on that post will not show the tasting date.
- Cleaned up and added functionality to user scores:
- Now support ?+ or +? appended to the score. For example 93+? points.
- We now average the score ranges for over score purposes. For example, a score of 91-93 will put 92 points toward the overall score for a wine. The individual TN will still show the score range and any + or ?.
Thank you David for continuing to raise the bar for our users! If you have any questions or suggestions, please use the WEBSITE QUESTIONS & SUGGESTIONS area on the Forum.