What Port(s) have you purchased this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Mike J. W.

Re: What Port(s) have you purchased this week?

Post by Mike J. W. »

Just picked up a 1970 Croft, a 1977 Gould Campbell and a 1977 Smith Woodhouse. I'm most curious about the '77 Smith Woodhouse as I've never tried that one before. Same with the '70 Croft, but I think the Smith Woodhouse could be interesting.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

all Ruby because my friends want to do a tasting of the basics so we know why it's worth it to drink better.

Taylor Fladgate
Croft
Maynard's [which i've never heard of but suddenly their products are all over our shelves]
Savory&James
they also want to try the in-a-jug Port style wines like Taylor and Christian Bros.

Dow's Boardroom Reserve Tawny which i've had before and actively disliked but i want to do a Tawny Reserve tasting
Dow's 2011 LBV because i hope to do a 2011 LBV tasting

last month i picked up two bottles of Croft Tawny Reserve which i've had once before and enjoyed, and a bottle of Quevedo Rose'. i had ordered them from across the state in September, transfers usually take a month. then i forgot and i never got the messages when they called. the store held them for me for at least 6 weeks, that's not typical policy. i actually went on the website to see whether Croft Tawny Reserve was available anywhere and my store was listed as having the only two in the state. so i went to grab them but they weren't on the shelf. an employee offered to check the back and came out saying they were "on hold for someone". the next day i went back and a different employee recognised me, saying he thought they had a hold for me. lo and behold, it was the two bottles of Croft and the Quevedo Rose.

i also picked up three or four bottles of Sandeman Founder's Reserve because it was on sale for $18 down from $21 and had a $3 manufacturer's coupon on top of it!
Churchill's Reserve Ruby because i'd never seen it before
Fonseca 2011 LBV because it's new on the shelf
and i went to DC and picked up a Delaforce 2010 LBV. i've never had anything by Delaforce, i hope it's good.

that's a lot more Port than i usually buy in two months.
rodrigo r

Post by rodrigo r »

Nice week for Port shopping in Brazil:

6 x Cockburn's Vintage 2011
3 x 20Y Poças
2 x 10Y Poças
1 x Fonseca Guimaraes 2001
1 x Fonseca 2003
1 x Fonseca 2011
1 x 40Y Burmester Tordiz
1 x 30Y Burmester
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Just picked up 6 bottles of Fonseca '03.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Rodrigo and Mike,
Nice scores!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

I just purchased 4 bottles of 2007 Sandeman VP @ $50 each and 3 bottles of 2011 Sandeman VP @ $50 each as well.
All of them will be in my cellar for awhile although I may open one of the 2007's just to see if it's worth buying more
at that price.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

I've been on a mini tear of late. Yesterday I was out Scotch hunting for my son and i came across a 1994 Warre VP for $63, a couple of 2011 Quinta Do Noval VP's for $72 each and a 2011 Quinta Do Crasto LBV for $17. The Novals are probably not going to see the light of day for at least 15 more years.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Mike J. W. wrote:I've been on a mini tear of late. Yesterday I was out Scotch hunting for my son and i came across a 1994 Warre VP for $63, a couple of 2011 Quinta Do Noval VP's for $72 each and a 2011 Quinta Do Crasto LBV for $17. The Novals are probably not going to see the light of day for at least 15 more years.
'94 Warre's rocks too and is still way young.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Just won an auction lot of 1 1966 Warre VP, 2 1985 Fonseca VP, 1 1985 Warre VP and 1 1985 Taylor Fladgate VP. All in it was $335.
Oe of the Fonseca has slight signs of seepage, but for the price of everything it was worth the gamble.
John M.

Post by John M. »

2 x 2011 Niepoort LBV
1 x 2014 Niepoort Crusted
Any Port in a storm!
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Qty. 2 1994 Quinta Do Crasto VP @ $40 ea. before shipping.
Gerwin de Graaf

Post by Gerwin de Graaf »

1985 Delaforce VP 2x (Magnum). Started to fill in the missing (large-sized) bottles for my 45th birthday dinner at the end of this year. And I needed some VP in Magnum (which is matured enough). Seemed a good start [dance2.gif] [cheers.gif]
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Scheiny S wrote: Maynard's [which i've never heard of but suddenly their products are all over our shelves]
Maynard's is in fact Barao de Vilar. Just a spin off brand for some products.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Picked up a bottle of 2003 Ramos Pinto VP for $60.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

1x 2015 Quinto do Crasto VP

I was surprised to see this bottle listed on winebid.com. I've been arranging to buy a case through the US importer->distributor->local wine shop, and found out it hasn't been in the U.S. for long, and is just now starting to get distributed. I'm wondering if this bottle was brought into the U.S. by an individual, or ...?
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

5 more 2015 Graham's Stone Terraces, though 2 of them are for Lisa Stevens. :)
Glenn Elliott
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Glenn E. wrote:5 more 2015 Graham's Stone Terraces, though 2 of them are for Lisa Stevens. :)
How many are you up to now in total? I only hold 3 myself.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

1 Feuerheerd 20 yo Tawny
1 Pocas Junior 1997 Colheita
1 Taylor Fladgate 2009 LBV
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

1 Alves de Sousa 2011 VP. I was going to buy 3 but their inventory records were incorrect. I could buy a few more at a different location but they're $12 more a bottle.
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

the last 6 Fonseca Terra Bella Reserve in the county because it's on sale for $16 [$6 cheaper than bin 27, my go-to]
Cockburn 2011 LBV
2 Fonseca 2011 LBV
Frederick Blais wrote:
Scheiny S wrote: Maynard's [which i've never heard of but suddenly their products are all over our shelves]
Maynard's is in fact Barao de Vilar. Just a spin off brand for some products.
ah. thanks. i've never noticed any Barao de Vilar except a VP that was on sale a couple years ago. i asked here and was told it wasn't really worth even the sale price.
is Barao de Vilar/Maynard's generally worth looking at? several of their Tawnies are out now, i think 10 and 20.