#2: What is your favorite vintage of Sandeman VP?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

#2: What is your favorite vintage of Sandeman VP?

Post by Roy Hersh »

In due course, I will probably be rotating through all of the popular producers one at a time to see what FTLOPers think is their favorite vintage for each.

This should be very telling if everyone participates. :wink:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Paul Eddy

Post by Paul Eddy »

Roy , Happy Christamas, and I cannot answer this as I cannot recall when I last had a Sandeman port. I do need to diversify!!

Paul.
Port is the wine of the Maritime Left
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I've not drunk a Sandeman port any older than the 1963. Top among the wines that I have tried are the 1963 (which suffers from significant bottle variation, but good bottles are superb), the 1966, the 1970 and the 1977.

However, my clear favourite as I read through my scores and my notes is the 1963 on those occasions when you come across one of the good bottles, but they seem to need a very long decant to show at their best.

Alex
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I had the 45 Sandeman a few days ago and it was a lighter version of what I had hoped for, but still a nice wine. I haven't had a few vintages of Sandeman's and I totally loved the 80 vintage.

Roy will say the 70 Sandeman, lol... :roll:
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

The oldest I've had is the '63, but I'd have to vote for the '66. I've not had anything younger than '85.
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

The '55 was a real beauty, and one of the best ports I ever had.
But enough about me, what do YOU think of me? -- Johnny Bravo
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

I never tasted Sandeman VP .... I own some young ones but nothing ready to open. So my favourite "Sandeman" VP is a Vau 2000
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Roy Hersh wrote:In due course, I will probably be rotating through all of the popular producers one at a time to see what FTLOPers think is their favorite vintage for each.
If and when you ask us about Croft, please ask in late February when I will have had the chance to drink a few more vintages of Croft than I have so far.

Thanks!
Bill Crann

Post by Bill Crann »

I don't see many Sandeman VP's. I've only had the '85 (a few bottles) but it was pretty good. Not profound, but no flaws. Probably an 88 pt. wine.

BC
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Haven't tasted a Sandeman's VP . . .
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Roy will say the 70 Sandeman, lol...

I can't remember the last time I've tried one, or I probably would have. 8--)

Nope, I am still having this internal struggle deciding which of the 3 VPs ending in 5 I have enjoyed the most. I have had more of the 1935 than any other Sandeman except possibly the 1963. It wowed me enough to buy two cases at the beginning of this decade. Not a bad deal in unopened OWC with the old hand-sewn straw sheaths, with levels mid-neck. The rest of the story only comes forth over a bottle of great Port, but I'll dare say that the wine itself was always tremendously enjoyable. The 1955 is another in my list of "greatest" Sandeman vintages and the first time I had it was in 1996 with George Sandeman visiting here in Seattle ... many times since. The last one I opened was for Stewart's birthday earlier this year and it was a great example of the youthful showing many of these depict. The 3rd and final "5" in my dilemma to choose just ONE, is the vaunted 1945. Top performing '45 Sandeman can be extraordinary experiences. I last broke one open two years ago in San Francisco for a very serious group of wine collector/drinkers at an offline. Many said it was the best dessert wine they had ever tried, the rest just said the "best Port" they had ever had. The typical guess as to its age was 1970.

I'll come around with a decision between one of these three.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Difficult to find Sandeman around these parts, particularly the Vintage Ports. I have several Vau 2000s in the cellar, but I have not tried a Sandeman VP as of yet. Only the 2000 LBV, which I remember being "not good" :(

Not really anything that adds to the discussion per se, but didn't want silence to indicate indifference! ;)

Todd
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I must admit that I am surprised how many of you mentioned that you had never tried a Sandeman VP. Often times this producer represents fantastic values and their Ports normally hold up beautifully. Sadly, between 1967 and 1994 there were only one or two vintages which were worthy buying. But recent vintages have shown much better and the last 3 generally declared vintages of '97, '00 and '03 are all very solid.

Even though the owners (Sogrape) promote their Ferreira and Offley Port houses more than Sandeman, it is still a force to be reckoned with and George Sandeman is one of the greatest characters in the Port trade today.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I've dug through all my TN's and was surprised to find out that I've never had any older vintages of Sandeman. Plenty of TN's on their Founder's Reserve, 20 year Tawny, and Vau Vintages, but nothing from the 1980's or older :shock: Guess I need to find some older vintages and try them.

But from what I've had the 2000 was quite tasty.

I agree about George Sandeman. Having met him on one occassion, I must say he is one person that I will never forget. Such an outgoing and funny person and one of the most educational conversations I've been a part of in Portugal.

(EDIT: I finally found a TN..I knew I had at least one older vintage)
1955 Sandeman VP: To bad as this was an off bottle according to Roy and I only scored it 87-88.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
SEAN C.
Location: Brooklyn,, New York, United States of America - USA

Post by SEAN C. »

My favorite Sandeman is probably the 1980, although I also liked the 1966 and 1945.
I have also tried a 1927 but it was oxidized :(
I own but have not yet tried the '34, '63, '77, and '85
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

SEAN C. wrote:My favorite Sandeman is probably the 1980
Same here.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Adam F

Post by Adam F »

The only I've ever tried was before I got interested into port and (Horror) I don't actually know which vintage it was. But it was good since it contributed to me getting into port. All I know is that it was pre-2000.
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

SEAN C. wrote:I own but have not yet tried the '34, '63, '77, and '85
I tried the '34 not too long ago, and it was showing surprisingly well.
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

Al B. wrote:I've not drunk a Sandeman port any older than the 1963.
Yes, you have. See my post above.
SEAN C.
Location: Brooklyn,, New York, United States of America - USA

Post by SEAN C. »

Ronald Wortel wrote:
SEAN C. wrote:I own but have not yet tried the '34, '63, '77, and '85
I tried the '34 not too long ago, and it was showing surprisingly well.
Good to know..thanks!
My bottle looks to be in excellent condition ..but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed!