#3: What is your favorite vintage of Cockburn's VP?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

#3: What is your favorite vintage of Cockburn's VP?

Post by Roy Hersh »

In our ongoing "around the horn" where we discuss our own personal favorite vintages, the next in line is COCKBURN'S. I look forward to your participation. 8--)
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Richard Henderson

Post by Richard Henderson »

Richard Henderson
Ted D
Location: Durham, New Hampshire, United States of America - USA

Post by Ted D »

Only had the 83 -- as recently as last night. It's quite young and glad my other bottles are in far away offsite storage :)
It's my favorite :)
Any Port in a Storm
Kris Henderson
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Kris Henderson »

I don't have much experience with Cockburn's Vintage Ports. I've gotten lucky and had two great bottles of the 1983 so that's got to be my favorite vintage so far.
SEAN C.
Location: Brooklyn,, New York, United States of America - USA

Post by SEAN C. »

1935 Hands down!
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

The 1983 is indeed beautiful, but I have a feeling that the 2000 will also age very graciously, so I vote for that one.
But enough about me, what do YOU think of me? -- Johnny Bravo
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I've only tried the Cockburn from 1994, 1983, 1967, 1955, 1950 and 1912. Of these, the 1983, 1955 and 1912 stand out as great ports.

I won't vote for the 1983 as I have had 3 bottles and two were badly corked. I would be concerned about bottle variation and so this loses my vote.

The 1955 was a great wine and showed really well on the last occasion that I tried it. Definitely a candidate for my favourite out of the 6 vintages that I have tried.

The 1912 was lovely, very tertiary with lots of complexity that made it wonderful to drink, even at the venerable age of 95.

On the whole, though, I think that the 1955 was the more impressive of these wines and so I will vote for 1955.

Alex
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

not a VP I've encountered often but I've always been curious to drink ready about its pas glories.

Tried, 91,97,00 and 03 and I'd say that 2000 was my favourite even though it is not a great Port.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

Without a doubt the 1955!!!!!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I am going by the seat of my pants because I have a few favorites. When spot on, the 1983 is at the apex of that vintage above the likes of Dow, Graham's, Gould, SW which for me are the others that are really top notch.

But I'm also a big fan of 1935 (my oldest remaining MAG) which are always in top form, 1927 which is consistently delicious every time I have ever popped one and finally the 1955 which also has never failed to deliver lots of pleasure.

Sorry Moses, I have not been blown away by the 1970, however the 1977 which was unfortunately not declared, "a mistake" they say, was a stupendous VP when tasted for the first time in Oct. 2005.

I am going to have to ponder this a bit more. Sorry, I'm having a tough time being decisive today.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I'd have to stick with 1927 due to the fact that it stood up so beautifully against the handful of other producers' 1927 VPs that I have had. A tough choice as Cockburn's was a real force to be reckoned with way back when.

The 1983 can be so beautiful, but the scars and scabs left by TCA tainted bottles at some prime tasting events has left me apprehensive every time I consider opening one. When they are "on" though ... :wink:
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: #3: What is your favorite vintage of Cockburn's VP?

Post by Roy Hersh »

After the great tasting in London, I have a feeling that about a dozen and a half participants may have changed their mind as to what was their favorite vintage of Cockburn's Port. I know I did, but this is not about my choice.

So with a lot more insight under your belts, what were your impressions and if you had to pick a favorite that day (actually, everyone did) what is it?
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Since I didn't respond to the thread when it was first posted.. I'll do so now. Cockburn's used to be a favorite when I started drinking Port (They are still a sentimental favorite). I would say the 1947. Of course the 1983 is an awesome wine too.. but it needs lots of time.
-Dave-
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Before this tasting, I had always been a big fan of the 1927 Cockburn, on occasion the 1983 and a number of younger vintages too. This helped to shape my opinion and provide lots better understanding of the Cockburn's VP strengths, especially in the ageability of the wines and a clearer picture of the House Style.
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

I can't believe I didn't make mention of the 1912 in my previous post. What was I thinking! :roll:
I also feel extremely lucky to have been able to taste the 1977 in the meantime. A port that surely deserved to be declared.

But for favourite vintage I'll stick with the 2000. That port somehow hit a soft spot with me. I'll try to keep my hands of the bottles that I own for a long while and look forward to enjoying them in the future.
But enough about me, what do YOU think of me? -- Johnny Bravo
Moses Botbol

Re:

Post by Moses Botbol »

Roy Hersh wrote: The 1983 can be so beautiful, but the scars and scabs left by TCA tainted bottles at some prime tasting events has left me apprehensive every time I consider opening one. When they are "on" though ... :wink:
Have the '83 Cockburns maybe 4-5 times and only once was it on, and it sure was!

Even the TCA bottles one can see that this could be a winner.
Roy Hersh wrote:Sorry Moses, I have not been blown away by the 1970, however the 1977 which was unfortunately not declared, "a mistake" they say, was a stupendous VP when tasted for the first time in Oct. 2005.
I can't remember what I thought of the Cockburn 70, but I am sure it was good, lol... :snooty: Although probably not anyone's top list, I enjoyed the Cockburn 67 about a month ago. I wasn't expecting much and this still had plenty of life and great body.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

As to the 1967, Mr. Miguel Corte Real liked it better than me too.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Roy Hersh wrote:As to the 1967, Mr. Miguel Corte Real liked it better than me too.
I thought I was going to be the only one mentioning 1967... I am pretty sure I have had 1935 too that was outstanding, and upon further reflection may be the best Cockburn I have had.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

For me it was the 1912. What a stunning bottle :salute:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jeffrey Karp
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona, United States of America - USA

Post by Jeffrey Karp »

The only two vintages of Cockburn I've tried are the '83 and the '63. The '63 has been covered in detail on this forum and no one I know would consider it the best vintage for Cockburn.

However, the '83 Cockburn is another story. I first tried the '83 about 4 years ago and it was spectacular, everything I could have wanted in a recent VP and more. I was so excited I went full speed ahead and purchased a case soon after. Well, to my chagrin, the case was comprised of mixed serial numbers (not an original case) and I found out the hard way (sheer and utter disappointment) that not all bottles of '83 Cockburn are worthy of my eager anticipation while decanting. Based on the serial numbers, most appeared to be from the questionable lot while the rest were from the incredible and out of sight lot. Needles to say I only have questionable bottles of '83 Cockburn left. I'm hoping that perhaps one day they will recover but I'm not counting on it with this bipolar bottling.

So anyway, '83 is my favorite Cockburn until I become fortunate enough to taste the '27 (Roy-January tasting party? :roll: ) or until the 2000 fully matures into something wonderful.

Best regards,

JKK