#7: What is your favorite vintage of Ramos-Pinto VP?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

#7: What is your favorite vintage of Ramos-Pinto VP?

Post by Roy Hersh »

I realize this might not be the most well-known producer of Vintage Ports, as in the USA it seems we see far more of their Tawny Ports but afterall, they have been around since 1880. We might not wind up with as much feedback as per usual, but I really hope that folks will weigh in with their favorites! I have seen plenty of TNs and mentions of the Ramos-Pinto Ports over the past several years, so please do feel free to share your favorite Vintage Port.

Cheers :winepour:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Alan Gardner

Post by Alan Gardner »

The 1926! A stunning wine and I've never even seen another from that year.
Second would be the 34 and then I'd jump to the 80's, where Ramos was very consistent.
And the 31 isn't worth seeking out - OK, but not worth the money.
I'll see if I can locate my notes - but a backup in my basement has left things totally disorganized and I'm not sure where they are right now.
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

From my experience the 1994 is one of the more powerful Ramos-Pinto VPs, although the '83 is also a nice bottle of juice. I'd give the edge to the 1994!
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

For me, it has to be the 1983, one port in my early days that really hook me. Tasted for the last time 2 years ago, it was holding well and delicious!
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

While I give good marks to the 1983, my favorite has to be the 2003. I think this will be a solid VP for many years to come and is one of their best efforts in the past couple of decades.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Alan,

As 1926 is my father's birth year, I have opened the C. da Silva Vintage Port from that very year on three, possibly four occasions. I kept one of the empty bottles too. The 2nd bottle I opened was while partying in Vancouver with Dirk Niepoort, Cristiano van Zeller, Bartholomew Broadbent, Miguel Roquette (Crasto) and Sandra Tavares da Silva (right before her wedding) in 2001, as it was then 75 years old and still beautiful.

I have not had the 1926 though, but if you should ever be fortunate enough to be invited down into their Gaia cellar, there is some very ancient and great bottles down there. On one of our tours, our guests were treated to not only the 1937 Colheita which is gorgeous, but the 1890 Colheita which is one of the greats!

I will have to reserve judgement on my favorite Ramos-Pinto VP until others have had a chance to weigh in.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I wish I had something to add as I have only had a couple of RP vintages and both were great. I wish there was more variety on the store or auctions for RP.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
guilherme

Post by guilherme »

The 03 has ranked quite well among the o3s. On top. The 94 is also quite nice. I have some notes on older fellows, but none quite great (vinagrinho apeared a bit more tham should).

Guilherme
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Given how widely distributed Ramos-Pinto Ports are and how popular, I must say that I am a bit surprised that this thread did not have more responses.

I will admit though, I don't see almost any Ramos-Pinto Vintage Ports older than 1983 for sale here in the USA. I wonder why that is?
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

My one and only Ramos Pinto VP was the 1997. What an unexpected pleasure this was and a port I will buy if I see at a sensible price in the future.

Since I have only had this VP from this shipper, I guess this is therefore my favourite.

Alex
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Alex,

The logic behind your difficult decision makes a ton of sense. 8--)
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: #7: What is your favorite vintage of Ramos-Pinto VP?

Post by Roy Hersh »

Like Andy, I'd have to say that the 2003, of the handful of vintages I have had from this producer, really stood out as the cream of the crop.

Has anybody tried others since this thread last appeared?
Michael M.

Post by Michael M. »

I only know 1994 Ramos Pinto Vintage Port. I already tasted 2 of 6, the last bottle about 2 years ago. I will not touch a further bottle bevore 5-10 years. I never understood why the 1994 often is regarded as a weaker Vintage Port of the year 1994. Perhaps not a bruiser but I remember it as an attractive Vintage Port on high level.

Michael
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

1970 has been the best Ramos vintage I have tried so far. Still young!
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Carlos Rodriguez

Post by Carlos Rodriguez »

Does nobody goes for 1991VP? Is it so bad?
I just bought some bottles. To drink them soon.
Anders

Post by Anders »

Vintage 1995 - the only one I ever tasted
Pinhao is my second home