#9: What is your favorite vintage of Fonseca VP?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

#9: What is your favorite vintage of Fonseca VP?

Post by Roy Hersh »

It has been clear to me, with so many Port lovers of differing learning/collecting curves, that when we've had some prominent shippers and some small producers here in the past, it is to be expected that some will be very well represented in our cellars and tasting experience while others much less so.

With that in mind, I wanted to ante up a prominent Port shipper that virtually anyone who drinks Vintage Port will have been exposed to at one time or another. Therefore, #9 = Fonseca.

I have a feeling that we are going to have not only a wider sampling of individuals discussing this top tier Shipper, but also there may be quite a diverse opinion as to which is the favorite vintage of the individuals who participate. This should make for lively discussions.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Re: #9: What is your favorite vintage of Fonseca VP?

Post by Derek T. »

Fonseca 1966 is by far the most consistently fabulous port I have had so it gets my vote. Each time I have had it it has been in very high quality company and has always, for me, knocked the socks off the competition on the night.

Wonderful juice.

Derek
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

1. 1963
2. 1985
3. 1966

Magnificent port, all three of them.
Paul Eddy

Post by Paul Eddy »

1970 for me

Paul.
Port is the wine of the Maritime Left
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Fonseca, being one of the huge names in VP is literally so expensive in my market that I am priced out of it. Recently, a few bottles of F'85 were brought in my the local fine wine shop. It sells for $200Cdn/US. Yes, my friends, it is that much of a travesty. The supply and demand of such a Port makes people pay this ridiculous amount for such a bottle. I will not. I have a trip upcoming to the US where, if possible to source such a bottle, it should be a much better price. I hope to bring back a few good bottles this trip! 8--)

I have almost a full case of the Guimaraens 2001 in my cellar, which is my wedding year (I got it on discount for Edmonton prices, still likely close to what you might spend NORMAL price for your Guimaraens.) Due to the young age, I have not opened any yet.

It is almost a tradgedy that I have not yet tried a Fonseca VP. I know, I know, this will open me up to all kinds of abuse. ;)
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Todd - It doesn't open you up to abuse, only to sympathy. One day, when you come over to the UK, we will open some special Fonsecas for you that you might not be able to find in Edmonton, let alone afford at those crazy prices.

My favourite Fonseca vintage...would have to be the '63. When it's a good bottle of the '63 I still find it just edges past the '66 for my taste preference, but it probably won't be many years before the '66 is above the '63.

Mind you, I have not yet tasted Fonseca from one of the legendary vintages, such as 1948 or 1927 so I reserve the right to change my mind one day in the future.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Todd,

I second Alex's offer to lay on some great Fonseca VPs if you ever manage to get yourself over to the UK.

That price is simply ridiculous for an F85, even though it is a wonderful port. I know it might be rubbing salt in the wound but at the 1966 Horizontal we had in the UK earlier this year the Fonseca 66 cost only a few £ more than $100 :shock:

Have you considered moving to Scotland. It has mountains, snow and lakes (lochs) and I'm sure you would feel at home, especially with a few cases of Fonseca 85 in your new cellar :wink:

Derek
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Ouch, that does hurt Derek! ;)

Yes, I'm always on the lookout for jobs in new markets. Markets which are more friendly to the Port lover in me. Getting buy in from the CFO and the three junior CEOs would be tough, but my job here is not going so well, and thus I have been searching a lot more lately.

Yes, even to stock the cellar with ONE case of some of the classic VPs such as Taylor, Fonseca and Noval would be a wonderful (non-Canadian) miracle! :)
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Todd , the Fonseca '85 is going for $ 215.00 in Québec . . .
There are approximately ½ dozen bottles available in the province and I doubt they will be sold at all . . .
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Luc Gauthier wrote:Todd , the Fonseca '85 is going for $ 215.00 in Québec . . .
There are approximately ½ dozen bottles available in the province and I doubt they will be sold at all . . .
And yet cellars will get stocked with cases of Fonseca '85... hmm, wonder where it will all come from??? :? :roll: ;)

In the meantime, those six bottles will sit and gain age until they may finally be worth $215... in or around 2045. :D
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

85 is probably the one that gave me the most pleasure to drink so far. 70 was not ready, lacking complexity and so young even after 36 years. 2003 will shine very high! but right now, if I had to drink one, it would be 85.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

I'd say '63 followed closely by '55. Although the single quinta bottling from '76 is also a fantastic wine in its own right!

Marc
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

Strange - just done this elsewhere but less specific. Alan?

Clickety Click
Round Seventy
My Birth Year - 1963

Love them all along with 55, 77, 85 and 2003.

My three favourite Ports are named above.
I'm telling you - Port is from Portugal.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I'll probably have to say the 1970. Its drinking great right now, but has a lots of life yet to live.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Alex R
Location: LA LA Land, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Alex R »

I second that, the fonseca 70 is still so young. just like 85 :twocents: :drunk:
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Alan C. wrote: 1. 1963
2. 1985
3. 1966

Those would be my picks off the top of my head. Will have to review tasting notes to see if there was something older than that I thought was a stand out. 1970 is great of course too.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Moses Botbol wrote:
2. 1985
3. 1966

Those would be my picks off the top of my head. Will have to review tasting notes to see if there was something older than that I thought was a stand out. 1970 is great of course too.
Moses , does your canine friend have a fav. Fonseca ?
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Luc Gauthier wrote:
Moses Botbol wrote:
2. 1985
3. 1966

Moses , does your canine friend have a fav. Fonseca ?
We just got her on Saturday, but she cleaned the 67 Vargellas stain on the kitchen floor. She's splendid port dog; the Queen's dog of choice, lol...

I'd venture to say she'd like the younger ports that show some fruit, perhaps the '85? '70 if she was a really good doggie, but she hasn't been yet.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

This has been the hardest decision for me of any of the producer profiles we've explored.

I've only had the 1945 and 1948 twice each and although great, it is hard to say they are favorites when I've had just a couple of impressions.

The 1963 and 1966 are close and I am in full agreement with Al B. then when the bottle of '63 is on, nothing is that delicious from the same vintage with the exception of the legendary Nacional. Otherwise, the '63 rules the roost. 1966 is also extraordinary and possibly will be longer lived but it too is at the apex of the vintage and one that I always love. The 1970 is close to a perfect wine and probably my favorite of these 3 extraordinary vintages, set within a narrow time frame, yet I can't say it is my all time favorite.

1985 Fonseca OTOH, keeps getting better and might be the best of any mentioned and with the structure to last 75+ years. I always love it and it is probably tied for 2nd place for me. I am surprised that nobody mentions the exalted 1994, as it is one of the very best VPs in an otherwise stellar vintage. Not a single vote so far, eh? Hmmm.

As much fun as will be foisted my way, I'd have to say that the Fonseca in 2000 was the closest of any by this producer, to reach nirvana for me. I have had it as a cask sample (a few times) and lots of times since. It shared top billing with Niepoort '00 for the two best of the vintage. Niepoort was more masculine and powerful and Fonseca showed grace, beauty and the strength of a strong willed woman, wise beyond her years. This is going to have no issues drinking well in 2100! It is mind blowing today and with every new taste of this, my respect continues to grow. Ergo, my all time favorite Fonseca is the 2000 VP.

"One is the loneliest number!" Three Dog Night
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
guilherme

Post by guilherme »

Save the legends as 27, 45, 48 ...

To drink now: 63, 70, 66

The 77 shall be there in about 5 more years

The 85 needs time to come around. Forget it for 10 years.

92 perhaps will show even earlier tham the 85 (?). It's a legend.
Last time about a year ago. Closed, but everything in the right place,
greta balance; not like the 85, that sometimes shows a bit disjointed.

A marvelous wine was the Fonseca Guimarens 76. Yes, 76 !
About 6 years ago, many bottles were a great pleasure, at the peak.
If someone is lucky enough t come across one, just pull the cork. Not big, but
suculent, wonderful refined and elegamt Fonseca's better characteristics.

Guilherme