2003 Warre’s LBV

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Lindsay E.

2003 Warre’s LBV

Post by Lindsay E. »

Tasted directly from pop n’ pour. The notes are from tasting it toward the end of the night. After tasting many of the 2011 LBV‘s and being afforded the opportunity to try some of the great 1994 LBV’s I have a renewed interest in the LBV category. I was lucky enough to find this 2003 Warre LBV on my vacation to Denver. This LBV was bottled in 07. The nose has bramble compote, VA, ripe black fruits, sweet cream, red fruits. Pallet has a sensual body. It is light and refreshing for a second on entry, immediately gaining weight, never cloying, but just inviting another swirl in the mouth. Baked strawberries and gentle tannins. This port finishes chewy with acid on the middle of the tongue. Tannins and acid work harmoniously to create grip in the mouth. Even though the 2011 LBV’s are fantastic cellar defenders, I’d be hard-pressed to choose a 2011 over this excellent 2003 LBV for drinking right now or in the near future.

Bottom line: aside from some noticeable VA, this port is making a wonderful transition from black to red fruits. On top of that transition, the port has a compelling,sensual mouthfeel that competes with VP’s above this price. This is also much more developed than LBV’s and VP’s from from the more lauded, recent vintages.

day 2: notes are very similar, only i’m dropping down a point on score and settling on a score of 92 points

92 pts
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 2003 Warre’s LBV

Post by Andy Velebil »

Nice note! I love Warre's LBV's. They age quite well in the mid term as well.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mahmoud Ali

Re: 2003 Warre’s LBV

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Lindsay E. wrote:... I have a renewed interest in the LBV category ...
They are vastly under appreciated in my opinion, particularly the traditional, unfiltered styles, usually bottled four years after the vintage.

Mahmoud.

PS: The 2003 Taylor Fladgate LBV is a remarkable port even though an "ordinary" LBV, and a bottle consumed only a couple of months ago was in top form.