ADRIAN BRIDGE

Join in on discussions with winemakers and other personalities in the Port, Madeira and Douro Wine trades.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

ADRIAN BRIDGE

Post by Roy Hersh »

Typically, I've just asked individuals that I thought would be interesting to this community and beyond. IF you look back at past Guest Hosts, the number of people that have read their opinions/teachings ranges from about 22k to more than 37,000 views -- which is many more Port lovers than ever participate on any of the forums. :lol:

But let's try something new, as most people who have joined here in the past few years, and/or some of the long-term participants probably have an opinion and I am open to suggestions. So who would YOU like to see as our next Guest Corner Host?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Re: The NEXT Guest Corner Host is ...

Post by Moses Botbol »

Have you been in the Guest Corner, Roy?
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

I think it would be great to get someone from one of the smaller family owned houses to get their perspective on the Douro, how they do things compared to the larger companies and the future outlook from their eyes.

Perhaps the female winemaker from Santa Eufemia, whom I visited last September? She is so knowledgeable (Forget her first name) Also a lot is happening to this family owned estate and it is also exploding with the oenotourism. (They now have a license for a restaurant as well).

Could be another small producer as well like Tedo, Pego, Magalhaes or Javali.

My 2 cents.

Look forward to it.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I really thought there would be more interest here than just two individuals making suggestions for this project. [shok.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Roy Hersh wrote:I really thought there would be more interest here than just two individuals making suggestions for this project. [shok.gif]
I didn't know there was a question to be answered until I looked at this today. I thought it was an announcement, and I would just wait until it actually happened.

I like Thomas V's answer. Luisa from Vieira de Sousa also comes to mind in that vein.

And since oenotourism was mentioned, I wonder if there is someone that could comment on tourism in Porto and how they see that further developing.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

It is not always easy to get people to participate here, when a guest is announced. I am concerned that a small producer that is not broadly known, will get less people to ask questions or comment, no less just to come to read what is being discussed. Therefore, I am hoping that will change with the guest that I've requested to participate. Once I have a solid response, I will announce their name and the company they are involved with. Hopefully, soon!
Bert VD

Post by Bert VD »

nice! looking forward to it.
John M.

Post by John M. »

Great... is been awhile!
Any Port in a storm!
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Sounds good to me. Big producers, ask big questions. Smaller producer, ask questions to get a different perspective.
John M.

Post by John M. »

The tourism angle might just be different enough....know its not Port but it does effect the local economy and is tethered to the Wine.
Any Port in a storm!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

John et al, I believe you will be very happy with the decision. I am just waiting to hear back as to what week this individual has time to commit for FTLOP'ers.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

The dates are now carved in stone. Clear some time on your calendar, for you can begin asking questions on Sunday, December 1st and through the end of Saturday, December 7th.

You've asked for someone knowledgeable about tourism. Check! You want someone who understands Port in terms of its entire process from vineyard and growing season right through the end of harvest, Port making, and the business behind it and Douro wine production too. Check. This individual has a tremendous and long history in the Port trade at the highest level and may just be the most recognized name in Vila Nova de Gaia. Nonetheless, his company owns Five Star hotels in Gaia, Porto and the Douro ... so he has a lot of vested interest in tourism. WOW is a project that you will learn far more about. Sustainable farming and global warming's current and future effects on Douro vineyards and in fact, global vineyards is one of his strong suits. Please just keep your questions on topic of Port and the Douro and anything mentioned above or at least very related. [cheers.gif]

Introducing our Guest Corner Host for 2019: ADRIAN BRIDGE, CEO of The Fladgate Partnership.

Save your best questions for Adrian and he will be glad to respond. I feel a great deal of gratitude that Adrian has pledged his time to FTLOP members and please do not be intimidated, because Adrian knows that questions will be coming from beginners, intermediate, and expert Port and Douro fans from here. His company's Port stable includes names of historic Port shippers such as: Taylor, Fonseca, Croft, Krohn, Skeffington etc.

The Fladgate Partnership also owns The Yeatman Hotel in Gaia, Hotel Infante de Sagres, in Porto and the Vintage House Hotel in Pinhão, in the heart of the Douro Valley. WOW, (World of Wine) is a new Port and Portuguese wine mega-plex located just downhill from The Yeatman, and is in the early phases of construction; so Adrian has a great stake in the future of tourism in the region and an extraordinary grasp of everything Port.

[welcome.gif] We are excited for the beginning of December and a reminder of Adrian's participation will be sent out at the end of each of the next two months! [yahoo.gif]
Al B.

Re: ADRIAN BRIDGE

Post by Al B. »

Roy - please do remind us close to the time that Adrian will be joining us. I have lots of questions I'd like to ask him but will likely forget that he is with us unless I get a gentle reminder from you.

Thanks.
Last edited by Al B. on Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Count on it Alex. [friends.gif]

One of these days you and I will get to drink Port together again my friend!
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

December 1 to December 2? [foilhat.gif]
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Al B. wrote:Roy - please do remind us close to the time that Adrian will be joining us. I have lots of questions I'd like to ask him but will likely forget that he is with us unless I get a gentle reminder from ypu.
"Alexa/Siri/Cortana/Google, remind me to go to eff tee el o pee on December first to chat with Adrian Bridge."
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Thanks for the heads up Mr. Ifune! [cheers.gif]
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

A brief introduction to Adrian from an old email; so, in his own words:

"I entered the Port trade several times before I came to work in it in May 1994.

I was at The Oratory school in Berkshire where my best friend was David Sandeman whose family owned the company at that time. I vividly recall going with him to visit his brother at their London offices in 1976 (aged 13) and being told that we had to wait before going to lunch. David and I waited in the tasting room and managed to ‘taste everything’. We then went to lunch which, in the London of the time, involved drinking pints of beer. Not a great start but memorable!

My first visit to the Douro was to the harvest of 1982 with my now wife, Natasha, whom I had met in March of 1982 at a party in London. Travelling by train to Vargellas was a step back in time, a step that took nearly 5 hours. It was my first taste of the extraordinary valley, the hospitable people and the amazing experience of drinking great Port under the stars.

By 1994, I had been persuaded by my father-in-law to leave investment banking and come and take over running his business.

The rest is history."
Adrian Bridge

Post by Adrian Bridge »

Dear Port Lovers - I am delighted to be on the guest corner. I am happy to take all questions and I hope I can give you answers. Best wishes Adrian
Adrian Bridge Vila Nova de Gaia, Portugal
John M.

Post by John M. »

Thank you Adrian for devoting some of your time to us---greatly appreciated.

My question pertains to the Crusted Port category. Much like a 20 Year Tawny, the chance to make a blend gives the winemaker some interesting possibilities yet they are rarely seen while SQVPs have proliferated and there are more declarations of VP. Do you think Crusted Ports will ever be more than an oddity, niche type of Port? ..or is there room for a bigger presence?

Thanks!
Any Port in a storm!