TN: 2012 Paso Port Violeta Portray

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

TN: 2012 Paso Port Violeta Portray

Post by Andy Velebil »

A friend gave this Paso Robles (California) "port" to me to try. From the 500ml bottle label, 51% Touriga Nacional, 30% Tinto Cao, 19% Souzao. 19% ABV. "Portray" means to represent in likeness or character. So I applaud their label that admits to such.

A semi dark color that would be more consistent with an LBV from this young vintage. Light lavender and cherries on the nose with just a tab of some youthful oak in the background. Initially this is a tad sweet then some protruding alcohol kicks in. Mostly dried cherries, milk chocolate, and Juniper. Medium bodied with a moderately long finish, except for a touch too much alcohol (which could be a lack of decanting), this would make a nice mid-term "port". That said, I have no idea what this retails for so I don't know it's QPR value.
88 Points
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John Trombley

Re: TN: 2012 Paso Port Violeta Portray

Post by John Trombley »

I wonder if the makers of these non-Duoro non Portuguese wines (that in places like Australia have more than a little interest) are working on an alternative nomenclature for them. Don't think any I've ever heard of has been entirely satisfactory. Also, the style differences among these wines are much broader than I originally expected, as well as very high differences in quality and price rapport. Perhaps something other than out and out abolition of them from the market place will be good! They seem to me to be more like red-wine VDNs from varied circumstances (hot country sweet Grenache, for example) than otherwise, but that isn't going to sell them into the hands of those who might like them. Some of the Australian ones have been very fine, but they have their very own taste.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

John Trombley wrote:I wonder if the makers of these non-Duoro non Portuguese wines (that in places like Australia have more than a little interest) are working on an alternative nomenclature for them. Don't think any I've ever heard of has been entirely satisfactory. Also, the style differences among these wines are much broader than I originally expected, as well as very high differences in quality and price rapport. Perhaps something other than out and out abolition of them from the market place will be good! They seem to me to be more like red-wine VDNs from varied circumstances (hot country sweet Grenache, for example) than otherwise, but that isn't going to sell them into the hands of those who might like them. Some of the Australian ones have been very fine, but they have their very own taste.
I think the style differences are due to what grapes are actually used. This one used correct ones that are used in Douro Ports. Some in the states I've tried have used a higher ABV brandy to fortify with so I think that, along with terrior, have a lot to do with why they taste different even with the same grape varietals.

I agree on the price comment, most Domestic ports are way overpriced for the quality.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John Trombley

Post by John Trombley »

Never found a creature labeled anything like 'Cabernet Port' that I could generate much affection for, except for the label on the Quady stuff you could buy in Detroit several decades back!
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I do think some of the better Ficklin wines, again made with Portuguese varieties, can be quite nice and not so overpriced. I'm sitting on some of their Old Vine Tinta (kinda like an LBV), which I'm told can bottle age. Their 10 year old (tawny styled) is also decent and well priced.