Interstate shipping crackdown

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Eric Menchen

Re: Interstate shipping crackdown

Post by Eric Menchen »

So in 10 years we might have something?
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote:Packaging stores that contract with Fed/UPS never ask the question or pressure customers when they ship wine privately. For now, (and in recent years) they are the new easy.

[friends.gif]
They are now. More specifically, they know the box type for alcohol and when they get them at the Hubs they open them and either send back or "destroy" it. I'm sure some non-wine employee gets some great wine that they won't appreciate. I know that as where I work we have a regional UPS Hub and I've spoken a number of times to their head of security and other upper level managers about shipping alcohol. If you ship privately outside of California, don't put it in anything that resembles a wine shipper.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I am very tempted to ship some bottled water (possibly even in wine bottles) in a wine shipper somewhere to see what happens.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric Menchen wrote:I am very tempted to ship some bottled water (possibly even in wine bottles) in a wine shipper somewhere to see what happens.
Now that would a cool experiment. Like anything, I'm sure it would depend on where the sender is and where it's going to. And of course some other factors. I'd wager this time of year it's more likely to make it through without issues as there is so much being shipped they don't have the time nor the experienced personnel (Temp employees) to catch as much. But I can tell you UPS is far more aggressive in intercepting illegal alcohol shipments now than in the past.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

9 for 9 success in the past month (and 7 for 7 since Dec. 1st) one of which was incoming and the other 8 were outgoing. So I do not agree with:
They are now. More specifically, they know the box type for alcohol and when they get them at the Hubs they open them and either send back or "destroy" it.
Maybe it is just in LA.

I have not altered from using a styro box (I've only done 1 and 3 bottle versions) inside a cardboard holder that was sent to me by wine retailers. Lucky? No, I know not.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Roy Hersh wrote:9 for 9 success in the past month (and 7 for 7 since Dec. 1st) one of which was incoming and the other 8 were outgoing.
I must have just hit the exact wrong person at FedEx on a bad day or something.

Ah well, I'll still manage to get Eric's Port to him somehow!
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I never ship from FedEx or UPS, just a couple of packaging shops on the plateau. One of which you could walk to Glenn. :lol:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Roy Hersh wrote:I never ship from FedEx or UPS, just a couple of packaging shops on the plateau. One of which you could walk to Glenn. :lol:
Ya know, I'd never thought of using that shop for shipping! But yeah, I bet that would work every time. They're not going to care a bit about what's in the box.
Glenn Elliott
Lindsay E.

Post by Lindsay E. »

Glenn, if worst comes to worst, I can pay to bring a case of Eric's wine on the plane with me during my next trip to Denver. I go to Denver twice a year (usually December and June). You guys should let me know if I can help out.

-Lindsay
Lindsay E.

Post by Lindsay E. »

I've been shipping wine to my mom in KY for the past several years. I try to use the 4 bottle and 6 bottle shippers as they tend to look more like a common size package. I also cut the styrofoam to allow me to invert half of the bottles so the box doesn't end up so bottom heavy. (If you've lifted enough cases of wine, that bottom heavy weight distribution is pretty obvious.) Going forward though, I'll try Andy's tip about putting those boxes in a larger, square shaped box. I'll also use Mike's suggestion of putting some macaroni in the box as a noise maker!