Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: What Portuguese wines have you opened this week

Post by Andy Velebil »

Gerwin de Graaf wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:
Gerwin de Graaf wrote:2010 Casa Burmester Reserva - Douro Red
How was it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quite good, as expected (had this Reserva a couple of times before, other vintages though). Still youthfull, nice tones of the wood-aging, firm (dark red and forest) fruit, and nicely balanced. And, a thing I always look for, nicely recognisable as a Douro wine.
And, also important, it had an excellent P-Q ratio :D (I must admit, I picked it up in a Portugal supermarket when on holiday there :evil: )
Thanks!
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Moses Botbol wrote:2007 Broadbent (Niepoort) Douro
I forgot Broadbent used to have his own Douro wine. Is it holding up? IIRC these were not too expensive on release.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Andy Velebil wrote:
I forgot Broadbent used to have his own Douro wine. Is it holding up? IIRC these were not too expensive on release.
Fantastic actually. They were priced around the same as Crasto Old Vine Reserva and done in a rustic old world style. Broadbent did only one run as they competed with Crasto which they already import. I bought like 3-4 cases of it when offered what little was left at a good price. I like it better than the Crasto if I had a choice of either, but I lean towards more rustic styled wines. Not knocking the Old Vine by any means.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Moses Botbol wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:
Fantastic actually. They were priced around the same as Crasto Old Vine Reserva and done in a rustic old world style. Broadbent did only one run as they competed with Crasto which they already import. I bought like 3-4 cases of it when offered what little was left at a good price. I like it better than the Crasto if I had a choice of either, but I lean towards more rustic styled wines. Not knocking the Old Vine by any means.
Good to know. Niepoort's style was always a bit less modern than Crasto's style.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Andy Velebil wrote:Good to know. Niepoort's style was always a bit less modern than Crasto's style.
I'll take that as a general statement. I also think Niepoort wines are all over the map.

Back to the original subject, but connected to the above ... Had dinner on the PHT2 at DOP with Luis Seabra, who now makes his own wines, but used to be a head winemaker at Niepoort, and was at Napoles when they built the current facility. After dinner we went to Prova where we drank the Portugues wines pictured below, my favorite being the 1934 Collares.
wine_sml.jpg
wine_sml.jpg (136.53 KiB) Viewed 1287 times
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

2009 Quinta do Crasto Old Vines Reserva
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

2014 Cassa Douro Reserva
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

2007 Quinta do Crasto Maria Teresa Douro
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

2007 Quinta do Vallado, Touriga Nacional is in decanter for a serving with big fat USDA Prime NY strip steaks to commemorate what would've been my father's 91st birthday today.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

2001 Vinho Tinto Quinta dos Quatro Ventos - Holding up quite well. Wasn't sure if this would go the distance, but I no longer in a rush to drink another bottle. Worth picking up.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

On Christmas Eve dinner; Luis Pato 1991 Vinho Branco, Vinhas Velhas (Bairrada) with aps, soup and salad; followed by 2004 Quinta Vale D. Maria (Douro).

Unfortunately the Branco was pre-moxed, unlike the prior few bottles which were extraordinary. Drinkable but why bother, the last minute sub turned out to be a 2002 Domaine des Comtes Lafon Meursault Clos de la Barre, grabbed from downstairs and served cellar cool. The 2004 Vale Dona Maria had been decanted for a few hours in advance and was ready for business. Taylor 1970 VP was dessert; a really beautiful showing with five hours in the decanter from which it was served.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote:On Christmas Eve dinner; Luis Pato 1991 Vinho Branco, Vinhas Velhas (Bairrada) with aps, soup and salad; followed by 2004 Quinta Vale D. Maria (Douro).

Unfortunately the Branco was pre-moxed, unlike the prior few bottles which were extraordinary. Drinkable but why bother, the last minute sub turned out to be a 2002 Domaine des Comtes Lafon Meursault Clos de la Barre, grabbed from downstairs and served cellar cool. The 2004 Vale Dona Maria had been decanted for a few hours in advance and was ready for business. Taylor 1970 VP was dessert; a really beautiful showing with five hours in the decanter from which it was served.
Given Rune and my experiences with these earlier year Vale D. Maria's I'm curious if you also saw the advanced aging profile on your 2004 as I have on two bottles this year.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

2015 Quinta de Saes Encruzado Branco Dao Tasting note is posted
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

2009 Quinta do Crasto Douro Reserva Vinhas Velhas
Very good with the leg of lamb I prepared, but I would be in no rush to open these otherwise.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Quinta do Crasto Douro Superior Red 2012

Elegant styled Douro for daily drinking. Comes neat flat six packs. One of my favorite for QPR from Crasto. I think I paid $12 a bottle on the case.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Moses Botbol wrote:Quinta do Crasto Douro Superior Red 2012

Elegant styled Douro for daily drinking. Comes neat flat six packs. One of my favorite for QPR from Crasto. I think I paid $12 a bottle on the case.
That would be well below wholesale IIRC, you sure it was $12? Regardless, Superior is a very well made and well priced wine for a daily drinker. For those that tried the first handful of vintages and didn't like the higher oak treatment, that has been dialed way back as they've gained experience with this particular line of wine over time. I really like what this wine has become in more recent vintages.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Moses Botbol wrote:Quinta do Crasto Douro Superior Red 2012

That would be well below wholesale IIRC, you sure it was $12? Regardless, Superior is a very well made and well priced wine for a daily drinker. For those that tried the first handful of vintages and didn't like the higher oak treatment, that has been dialed way back as they've gained experience with this particular line of wine over time. I really like what this wine has become in more recent vintages.
I believe it was around that price. I bought it a few years ago. I don't find the 2012 to be oaky.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Came home after almost 4 months without wine. First thing opened was the JM Fonseca 20 year Roxo while unpacking. It hit the spot!
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

2007 Crasto Old Vine Reserva. TN is now posted
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

2007 Pombal do Vesuvio