Will there come a point at which you stop?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Will there come a point at which you stop?

Post by Roy Hersh »

Buying Port, that is. Will it be an age thing, or based on how many bottles/cases you then own?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Will there come a point at which you stop?

Post by Andy Velebil »

How dare you even think we'd stop buying :lol: Seriously though, while I will most likely slow at some point, I honestly don't ever see myself stopping completely. There will always be older stuff that I want and some newer stuff here and there as well. One can't always drink very old Ports....
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I went into replacement mode this year for the most part, and I still plan to do that for a while, but someday I envision drinking more than I add. That will be an age thing based on my retirement planning.
John M.

Post by John M. »

Are you kidding??? On that other post with 1,311 bottles I've been dreaming about it!!! Big Truck pulls up and 109 cases of port roll in....If I drink a bottle a week, it will last 25 years....unless the Seattle contingent arrives to inspect then a lot less....

Honestly, no. I will just leave them for my children, whatever is left.
Any Port in a storm!
R Bull

Post by R Bull »

I cannot see that day ever coming. There are too many port options including vintage, producer, tawny and ruby. I diverge a little from John though. As I tell my boys, if I die and leave you any port or anything else of value, I made a mistake. Drink up boys.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I've slowed down buying as I am not drinking so much VP. I can be persuaded when a deal falls on my lap, but at this point I think I have than necessary. If I get back to drinking VP's all time and then will re-evaluate. I can't ever see myself buying past the 2000 vintage.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Christopher B.

Post by Christopher B. »

I have already switched to purchasing new bottles only to replace what I drink. That being said, the selection can change and if my passion for port grows, port will displace (or not) the white or red wines. The way that I enforce this is by having a wine fridge that is full.

My significant other is the one that enforces the fact that I don't buy a new wine fridge or a larger one. [dash1.gif]