At what age did you start drinking Port?

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

At what age did you start drinking Port?

Post by Roy Hersh »

First time you ever took a sip or began drinking in moderation? Up to you to decide which to include, but please tell us your age at the time.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John M.

Re: At what age did you start drinking Port?

Post by John M. »

46 in earnest......late 20s had some VP which is the first sip.....wish I had started then,, all those 77-83-85s I could have had socked away.
Any Port in a storm!
R Bull

Post by R Bull »

I started really drinking and enjoying port at 32. There were years when I drank more table wines (red and white), but I found that I enjoyed port more and kept coming back. I have only been building a port collection the past 8 years but it has been going very slow, especially the past 4 years. Not a lot of port options in Oklahoma verses my 20+ years in the Chicago area.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

40. I was given a Porto Rocha 20-yr old for my 40th birthday and the rest is history!
Glenn Elliott
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

First time ever really tried maybe 16-17, behind the movie theater at the Falmouth Mall, skateboards by our side. Friend took a bottle from his parents'. I grew up in a heavy Portuguese decedent area. 22-23 actually started buying port, but nothing too fancy. Actually back then, you could buy Colheita and Vintage port for like $20 or so. Didn't get what Colheita really meant until a few years later and had only tried a few older VP's, most '77 at great expense to me and my friends. It wasn't until 2000 that I actually bought port for storing and not until 2004 I was re-acquainted with SeanC and spending too much money on port...

40-50 cases later; I am starting to think I have enough for now until another case of '63 or '70 for $400 falls on my lap. When will it ever be enough? I am lucky to drink a bottle a month of VP...

I am 45 now...
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

R Bull wrote: Not a lot of port options in Oklahoma verses my 20+ years in the Chicago area.
I spent a decent amount of time in OKC and found an interesting mix of brands and prices. Wasn't expecting to see as much Portal for sale! Can barely find it in Boston, never mind OKC.
Mads Barnkob

Post by Mads Barnkob »

I started collecting and drinking, in moderation, at age 30, that is two-three years ago.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Early teens. My father gave me some Sandeman Ruby Reserve. Later he gave me some 1970 Vintage, also Sandeman.
Christopher B.

Post by Christopher B. »

First tasted Sandeman's Ruby when I would have been about 18-19.

I've only really started getting into port in the last year or so, so 40.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Of course it is never too late, even if you start in your 50's.

I was 25 and about to turn 26 when I first had the twenty year old 1963 Sandeman that started me down this path. 31 years ago now and lots of bottles left in the wake. A few more to try along the way. :wink:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Allan Engelsted Laurents

Post by Allan Engelsted Laurents »

For Newyears back in 1986 (21 years of age) I brought to a Party 6 strong beers and a very cheep Tawny from Sandeman.
I dont remember how I got home [dash1.gif]

A few years later in 1993, I met my PortMentor, who thought me the true meaning of live...to drink old Niepoort Colheitas.
And not to taste But to drink.....One of my Best encounters was newyears 7 years ago. I had asked my very good friend to open something Nice....And on the table stood, a beautiful Niepoort Colheita 1908, just for me [kez_11.gif] that was one of my better newyears....
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

A great story Allan. Do you remember anything about that Port? 1908 is not one that is seen much, if ever nowadays!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

In college, so about 20-21. That doesn't mean I was drinking to enjoy it for its lovely nuances, I was in college and a fraternity after all. :drunk:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Rune EG

Post by Rune EG »

24 years old, was offered Cockburn's Special Reserve on a business trip in U.K.
Serious interest and consumption from abt 35 years old, so it has lasted on that level for abt 25 years
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Thanks everyone for sharing, I really like to hear about everyone's earliest experiences. I know some people come to the Port party later in life too, but seemingly most here have reported sometime in their twenties. Assuming these same individuals began to collect Port within a few years, there will be some might fine mature cellars in the next couple of decades.
Alan McDonald

Post by Alan McDonald »

I asked the same question in Feb 2014 and I was surprised then, as now, that none of the British members have mentioned being given a small glass at Christmas and New Year when they were young children.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Elys' family in Brazil christen with Port wine. I guess that is quite common practice...
C McKay

Post by C McKay »

For me, 35. It was a random decision one evening to try a tawny after/with dessert. Have been hooked on tawny (as an aperitif mostly) every since.

Then I moved on to vintage, and now I eagerly collect and trying to educate myself as I go. If I only found it sooner!!!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

C McKay wrote:For me, 35. It was a random decision one evening to try a tawny after/with dessert. Have been hooked on tawny (as an aperitif mostly) every since.

Then I moved on to vintage, and now I eagerly collect and trying to educate myself as I go. If I only found it sooner!!!
[welcome.gif] to the forum!! Your pocket book is probably glad you didn't discover it earlier ;) LOL
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric C

Post by Eric C »

My first sip ever was probably 5 or 6 years old. Got it from grandma. [cheers.gif] Real start and enjoying at 40 though.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards / Cordialement / Met vriendelijke groeten / lembranças
Eric C