Dow's Crusted Porto, bottled 1999

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Dow's Crusted Porto, bottled 1999

Post by Andy Velebil »

Picked one of these up and I have a question since I cant find much info on crusted porto's. how long should I cellar this before drinking? when I do drink it, should treat it like a regular VP (decant, airate, etc)?

Also, i know I've posted a lot of questions, and just wanted to apologize and hopefully not seem like a pest. as well as thank everyone for their input and help. I am quite new to ports (in the last couple of years) and am trying to learn as much as possible. So in that quest, I've decided to buy different types/producers of portos to expand my knowledge. That has led to a large amount of questions and some fun drinking stuff you all have recommended.

So thanks again everyone for all the help.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Andy

I'm sure no-one minds lots of questions. I find that I learn so much new stuff just reading through people's questions and the answers that they get - and stuff that I have just taken for granted suddenly gets put into a new light when someone else puts forward a different view.

My experience with crusted port has always been pretty good. It will throw a sediment and so needs to be decanted before drinking. Roy would probably advise a longer decanting time that I would use, but Roy likes to have his wines at their peak when he first approaches them. I tend to come from the other school of thought and like to see how the wine changes over time once the bottle has been opened and the wine decanted. My guess for the optimum decanting time would be around 4-6 hours.

I also find that crusted port tends to improve if laid down and will last a fair time if treated properly. The longest I have ever laid a bottle down before opening is about 10 years - and it was delicious when I opened and drank it.

Enjoy it - and tell us what it was like.

Alex