Re: Madeira Identification

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Hi Alexander and welcome! I have made your photos easier to read. I will have to look into why our forum software displays attached photos this way.

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

David Spriggs wrote:Hi Alexander and welcome! I have made your photos easier to read. I will have to look into why our forum software displays attached photos this way.
I've copied your reduced images into Alexander's posts.

His photos were just very large - I think our forum software just does its best when trying to display images larger than 800 x 600.
Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

A quick search on this producer produces many hits, but based on the ones that I found it appears to me that this particular bottle is probably a basic Madeira. There are wines from this producer with dates below the type (it would have been in the blank area on the front label below where it says "Malmsey Style sweet" on your bottle). This one also says "Malmsey Style" whereas the dated bottles simply say "Malmsey".

It's a very nice looking bottle, but probably not worth much except as a curiosity. There are others here much more knowledgeable about Madeira than me, though, so they may be able to give you more information.
Glenn Elliott
Andreas Platt

Post by Andreas Platt »

Hi there!

Adegas Exportadora is a part of the Borges Group https://www.hmborges.com/; they still fill some basic wines under that labelling, also see here https://www.fortheloveofport.com/madeir ... ippers-co/

The wine in question is a simple Malmsey blend (meaning most of it being grape Malvazia, rest probably Tinta Negra as well as some other varieties to receive an outcome as wished from the master blender).

The wine will not be worth more than 20 bucks, so better drink it yourselves and hope for the best, and ideally enjoy.