What Port(s) have you purchased this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

John M.

Re: What Port(s) have you purchased this week?

Post by John M. »

2 x Pocas 30 Year Tawny
1 x 2003 Offley Boa Vista VP

From a NJ B&M store at really good prices (with a cash discount no less). Big SHOUT OUT to Mike J. W. for the tip...I left a little for you but just one 30 left!

Rather a modest, non-descript store but a good Port selection and some good pricing.
Any Port in a storm!
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

John M. wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:41 am 2 x Pocas 30 Year Tawny
1 x 2003 Offley Boa Vista VP

From a NJ B&M store at really good prices (with a cash discount no less). Big SHOUT OUT to Mike J. W. for the tip...I left a little for you but just one 30 left!

Rather a modest, non-descript store but a good Port selection and some good pricing.
Both are really good gets. The Pocas 30 y.o. is really good and the Offley Boa Vista '03 while still young and not fully integrated is very good as well. In another 5 to 7 years the OBV will be singing.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

2 x 2007 Dow VP
1 x 1994 Dow VP
1 x 1976 Smith Woodhouse Colheita
4 x 1995 Delaforce Quinta Da Corte SQVP
1 x 1992 Pocas Colheita
3 x Pocas 30 y.o. Tawny
1 x 1997 Pocas Colheita
3 x 2003 Offley Boa Vista VP
3 x 1994 Ferreira VP ($32 a bottle)
2 x 2017 Warre VP ($33 a bottle)
1 x 1995 Vesuvio SQVP
1 x 1980 Croft Quinta da Roeda SQVP
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Jonathan S

Post by Jonathan S »

Graham's 40
Jonathan S

Post by Jonathan S »

Mike J. W. wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:58 pm 2 x 2017 Warre VP ($33 a bottle)
What a price!!! Well done. 8--)
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Jonathan S wrote:
No kidding!!!!
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Jonathan S wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:13 pm
I actually asked the guy to double check the price because I couldn't believe it. Unfortunately they only had the 2 bottles.
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Yet more firewood - this time containing a dozen Warre 2008 LBV - my first purchase this year.

Aside from burning them, there's nothing you can do with those open fronted wooden presentation boxes once you've taken the bottle out. It seems a terrible waste, not to mention an expense I'd rather save.

Anyway, bottles checked and numbered using liquid chalk on the shoulder, weighed and put in transit baskets. Tomorrow I will go to cellar #3 and stick them in rack 37 where they will stay for at least six years before I get round to popping one..
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

1x 2017 Quinta do Vesuvio Capela
Mike K.

Post by Mike K. »

Taylor Very Old Single Harvest Tawny 1961.

Didn’t know there was such a creature, stumbled across it in a store. Bottled 2020.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Eric Menchen wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:30 pm 1x 2017 Quinta do Vesuvio Capela
How was it? I picked up 6 and a tappit hen, but haven't tried it yet.
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Glenn E. wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:34 pm
Eric Menchen wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:30 pm 1x 2017 Quinta do Vesuvio Capela
How was it? I picked up 6 and a tappit hen, but haven't tried it yet.
Can't say I've tried it yet, as I just purchased it, and probably won't ship it until things warm up a little in the spring.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

1 x 2015 Sandeman LBV. This one will be next up to try so I can see if it's worth buying more.
1 x 2013 Barao de Vilar LBV. This was an oddity that I came across so I thought I'd give it a go.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

1 x 1994 Fonseca VP.
4 x 1994 Ferreira VP won at a few different auctions at an average price of $31. I'm really getting into the '94 Ferreira's. They still need a little more time, but they're a very solid port with more upside to them.
4 x 1983 Ferreira LBV (bottled in 1989) again won at auction for $25 ea. A little high for an LBV but with 38 years of age on it, I think it's worth it. I'll be curious to see how it tastes. The bottles are in pristine condition.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Mike J. W. wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:39 pm 1 x 1994 Fonseca VP.
4 x 1994 Ferreira VP won at a few different auctions at an average price of $31. I'm really getting into the '94 Ferreira's. They still need a little more time, but they're a very solid port with more upside to them.
4 x 1983 Ferreira LBV (bottled in 1989) again won at auction for $25 ea. A little high for an LBV but with 38 years of age on it, I think it's worth it. I'll be curious to see how it tastes. The bottles are in pristine condition.
Ferreira '94 LBV is great too. Still dark and plenty of upside to it.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
John M.

Post by John M. »

Moses Botbol wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:37 pm
Mike J. W. wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:39 pm 1 x 1994 Fonseca VP.
Ferreira '94 LBV is great too. Still dark and plenty of upside to it.
$25 for a 38 year LBV is a good price. About the same for many new ones. The 94 Ferreira VP at $31---that's a good deal, too!
Any Port in a storm!
Olivier V

Post by Olivier V »

This Friday, I've shelled out no less than 105€ shipped for a bottle of 1985 vintage Hooper's Vintage Port.
I'm meeting a big, BIG corporate clients who has laid his eyes on no less than the yacht Anna I https://arconyachts.com/en/shipyards/fe ... 67m-anna-i and would like our company to do some catering for him from time to time, so I bought the fanciest port I could find (and afford) for the big day.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Olivier V wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:25 pm This Friday, I've shelled out no less than 105€ shipped for a bottle of 1985 vintage Hooper's Vintage Port.
I'm meeting a big, BIG corporate clients who has laid his eyes on no less than the yacht Anna I https://arconyachts.com/en/shipyards/fe ... 67m-anna-i and would like our company to do some catering for him from time to time, so I bought the fanciest port I could find (and afford) for the big day.
I have only had one experience that I can recall with a 1985 Hooper, and it was so badly corked that I had to take it out into the hotel parking lot to taste it. (I'm immune to TCA - can't taste it or smell it.)

If there's still time, I recommend finding a 1985 Fonseca or Graham or Dow. Hooper is generally not consider a top-tier producer of Vintage Port, so while it is fun to have one in a horizontal my expectations would be low.
Glenn Elliott
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

I've not got a note on the Hooper '85, but the minor players of that vintage have a very poor track record..
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Tom Archer wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:29 pm I've not got a note on the Hooper '85, but the minor players of that vintage have a very poor track record..
I have one or two bottles of '83 and '85 Hooper's I cannot find for the life of me. Maybe better off?
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars