What have you opened this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: What have you opened this week?

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 4:33 pm I was shocked at how well the Dalva showed being bottled so long ago. I assume it had a decent amount of white grapes in it as the perceived acidity was still very high.
That's weird to me, because I bought one of those - I think around the same time you did, though maybe not because mine was bottled in 1972? - and then opened it to celebrate the new year 2021 after I'd had it for about 4 months. I gave it 91 points and IIRC I was the most generous. It was pleasant, but there just wasn't much there.
Glenn Elliott
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I liked that 1973 from Dirk. Not great, but way better than expected.
A.S. Demka

Post by A.S. Demka »

1985 Fonseca Vintage
Cork ok, no leakage. Brownish, like tawny, almost dark gold but slightly cloudy. Wrong bottle that ended down the sinck two hours after decanting...
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

A.S. Demka wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:44 am 1985 Fonseca Vintage
Cork ok, no leakage. Brownish, like tawny, almost dark gold but slightly cloudy. Wrong bottle that ended down the sinck two hours after decanting...
What a shame. That's definitely a bad bottle. They're in a great spot right now so I hope you have another one to try.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
A.S. Demka

Post by A.S. Demka »

Thanks for your sympathy, Mike.
Luckily I have a few more in my cellar, from three different sources/auctions, which increases the chance that this bottle was a one-timer.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

DR 2008 White Colheita.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Quinta Santa Eufemia 20 y.o. Tawny (375ml bottle). Pleasant, middle of the road tawny.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Mike J. W. wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:38 am
Thomas V wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:35 pm 50YO Maynard's
1982 Andresen Colheita
I've had the '82 Andresen Colheita before (it's good), but how was the 50YO Maynard's?
I really like it. It has a nimble and lean structure, a bit surprising for a 50YO. But it does not hold back on the palate with loads of brown sugar, burnt caramel and toffee but a nice acidic backbone to keep the sweetness in check. A long aftertaste. It is delightful and something you should give a go if you get the chance. I am in the 93-94 point range for it. It does also cost a pretty penny. But not unreasonable. They come in 0.375 format which makes it manageable.

I opened a Graham's 2012 LBV this week. Juicy stuff :clap:
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Fonseca 1977 - OMG! A good bottle of this Port is indescribably good. I wish I had many more bottles.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Al B. wrote:Fonseca 1977 - OMG! A good bottle of this Port is indescribably good. I wish I had many more bottles.
Sadly you really don’t want more bottles. It’s maybe 50/50 if you get a great one or a not great one. But when it shines, it really shines.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
LOUISSS J

Post by LOUISSS J »

Andy Velebil wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 3:26 pm
Al B. wrote:Fonseca 1977 - OMG! A good bottle of this Port is indescribably good. I wish I had many more bottles.
Sadly you really don’t want more bottles. It’s maybe 50/50 if you get a great one or a not great one. But when it shines, it really shines.
I once drank a 1977 and although it was very very good I don't think it was exceptional. in comparison I once drank a 1970 Fonseca and it was excellent (better than the 1977)... I have ONE 1970 left that I will drink during the holidays! [yahoo.gif]
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

The last 1970 Fonseca I opened was a magnum, last April (2022) my last big Port event before leaving the USA. And ... it was corked. I owned it since the 1990's. Very painful to say the least.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

1985 Burmester VP.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

2000 Broadbent LBV. Produced and bottled by Quinta Do Crasto.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote:The last 1970 Fonseca I opened was a magnum, last April (2022) my last big Port event before leaving the USA. And ... it was corked. I owned it since the 1990's. Very painful to say the least.
That was painful!
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

DR 20 year old.
Lucas S

Post by Lucas S »

Offley Regular White Port
Felt run-of-the-mill and a bit bitter yesterday but after leaving it in the fridge overnight, today it's a good honey nectar.
All is fair in love and Warre's
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Graham Crusted, bottled 2002. Surprised me by still being a fruit-fest with not a lot of complexity yet in the wine. I’m sure the complexity will develop eventually, but why wait?
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

2003 Niepoort VP in a half-bottle. First time trying this and it's a lovely Port. Juicy, fresh and eminently drinkable.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

1994 Taylor
1994 Fonseca
1994 Noval (Two bottles. First was bad. Second was only a little better.)
1994 Vesuvio
1994 Warre
1994 Niepoort
1994 Burmester
1994 Smith-Woodhouse
1994 Smith-Woodhouse LBV
1994 Heitz Port (O.k., not a real Port, but that's what the label said.)
1994 Martinez
1994 Quinta do Crasto
1994 Graham (brought by friends)
1994 Dow (brought by Stewart)
1994 Churchill
1994 Delaforce
1994 Romariz