What have you opened this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Moses Botbol

Re: What have you opened this week?

Post by Moses Botbol »

1994 Ramos Pinto VP "Quinta de Ervamoira". Opened last night. Was ready to enjoy on a pop and pour. Super smooth and rich. Delicate spirit. I hope it doesn't fall apart over the week. Cork was perfect. Really dark in the glass with a minimum of sediment in the bottle.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Moses Botbol wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:53 am 1994 Ramos Pinto VP "Quinta de Ervamoira". Opened last night. Was ready to enjoy on a pop and pour. Super smooth and rich. Delicate spirit. I hope it doesn't fall apart over the week. Cork was perfect. Really dark in the glass with a minimum of sediment in the bottle.
Inspired by me decanting the exact same wine three days ago - or pure coincidence?

I had a similar experience - a class act that needs another decade 8-9
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Tom Archer wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:16 am
Moses Botbol wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:53 am 1994 Ramos Pinto VP "Quinta de Ervamoira". Opened last night. Was ready to enjoy on a pop and pour. Super smooth and rich. Delicate spirit. I hope it doesn't fall apart over the week. Cork was perfect. Really dark in the glass with a minimum of sediment in the bottle.
Inspired by me decanting the exact same wine three days ago - or pure coincidence?

Pure coincidence! Is there a non Ervamoira version as well? I was looking for that one in the cellar instead, but wasn't sure if there was such a thing and took the first one I found.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Moses Botbol wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:10 am

Pure coincidence! Is there a non Ervamoira version as well? I was looking for that one in the cellar instead, but wasn't sure if there was such a thing and took the first one I found.
Yes, Ramos Pinto produced both a "full" Ramos Pinto VP and a SQVP from Quinta da Ervamoira in 1994.
Glenn Elliott
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

The Ervamoira '94 is one of the obscurer members of my cellar collection, which currently sports 643 different VPs. For Moses to pop the exact same bottle three days after I did, is really pretty weird!
LOUISSS J

Post by LOUISSS J »

Glenn E. wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:32 am

Yes, Ramos Pinto produced both a "full" Ramos Pinto VP and a SQVP from Quinta da Ervamoira in 1994.
Interesting to know. At the SAQ (Québec) we had regular Ramos Pinto (Tawny with age indication). For some time I was seeing the mention Bom Retiro and Quinta da Ervamoira. I was just wondering if this mention was because they had now decided to clarify everything or because it was a bottle change (provenance of the grapes).

... but when i check the name : Ramos Pinto Quinta da Ervamoira Tawny 10 ans 2017 ... i see a Tawny with age indication but like a Colheita?? (2017)
https://www.saq.com/fr/133751
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

LOUISSS J wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:25 pm
Interesting to know. At the SAQ (Québec) we had regular Ramos Pinto (Tawny with age indication). For some time I was seeing the mention Bom Retiro and Quinta da Ervamoira. I was just wondering if this mention was because they had now decided to clarify everything or because it was a bottle change (provenance of the grapes).

... but when i check the name : Ramos Pinto Quinta da Ervamoira Tawny 10 ans 2017 ... i see a Tawny with age indication but like a Colheita?? (2017)
My guess is that's the bottling year, which they probably pulled off the back label. Tawny With An Indication Of Age (aka TWAIOA) is not a year-designated style, but the year of bottling is actually relevant so that you know how "fresh" the bottle is. It's a very nice feature of the SAQ website that they give you that information!

Ramos Pintos' 10 and 20 year old Tawnies have always (for as far back as I have been familiar with them) had a quinta label - Ervamoira for the 10 and Bom Retiro for the 20.
Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

2008 DR White Colheita
2015 Graham LBV

Both for a barbecue dinner, and they paired very nicely!
Glenn Elliott
LOUISSS J

Post by LOUISSS J »

Glenn E. wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:18 pm
LOUISSS J wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:25 pm

My guess is that's the bottling year, which they probably pulled off the back label. Tawny With An Indication Of Age (aka TWAIOA) is not a year-designated style, but the year of bottling is actually relevant so that you know how "fresh" the bottle is. It's a very nice feature of the SAQ website that they give you that information!

Ramos Pintos' 10 and 20 year old Tawnies have always (for as far back as I have been familiar with them) had a quinta label - Ervamoira for the 10 and Bom Retiro for the 20.
Thanks for the answer. But if the year of bottling the 10 year old is 2017 its still old.
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

But if the year of bottling the 10 year old is 2017 its still old.
Meh - a youngster!

10yr and 20yr TWIOA age really well - I won't touch one with less than 10yrs in bottle.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I’ve just been to the recycling and dropped off a half bottle of Gould Campbell 1963, a magnum of Gould Campbell 1977 and bottles of Mackenzie 1963, Kopke 1966 Colheita, Churchill Crusted 2014 and Andresen 10YO White.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Al B. wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:54 am I’ve just been to the recycling and dropped off a half bottle of Gould Campbell 1963, a magnum of Gould Campbell 1977 and bottles of Mackenzie 1963, Kopke 1966 Colheita, Churchill Crusted 2014 and Andresen 10YO White.
I bet a small tear drop fell to the ground watching all of those lovely, empty bottles being dumped into the recycling bin.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

I bet a small tear drop fell to the ground watching all of those lovely, empty bottles being dumped into the recycling bin.
Dirk Niepoort calls us 'The bottle killers' because we get through so many old bottles and don't hang on to the empties..
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Tom Archer wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:32 am
Dirk Niepoort calls us 'The bottle killers' because we get through so many old bottles and don't hang on to the empties..
I keep some singles of empty bottles to line a shelf going down to the wine cellar. Has to be old and cool enough to make the cut.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Moses Botbol wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:11 am I keep some singles of empty bottles to line a shelf going down to the wine cellar. Has to be old and cool enough to make the cut.
There's not a set criteria for what I keep. Old helps, but I've opened old bottles with a simple typed label that don't make the cut. Cool looking, did I really enjoy the wine, do I want to reminisce about it again for some reason. There's another section with non-dessert wines, and then a group of Champagne and Sauternes.
20230905_100559_crop.jpg
20230905_100559_crop.jpg (206.13 KiB) Viewed 1753 times
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Eric Menchen wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:50 am There's not a set criteria for what I keep. Old helps, but I've opened old bottles with a simple typed label that don't make the cut. Cool looking, did I really enjoy the wine, do I want to reminisce about it again for some reason. There's another section with non-dessert wines, and then a group of Champagne and Sauternes.
20230905_100559_crop.jpg
This is a quick few shots of the ledge bottles consumed at the house. The duplicates were thrown in the bin.
Lucas S

Post by Lucas S »

Those are some sweet photos.

There is probably some value in there too, could probably sell a lot with some of those 19th century empties to the right museum for a few grand.

I haven't kept many bottles, but this has inspired me to start keeping select ones.

It also makes me reconsider getting port tongs, haha.
All is fair in love and Warre's
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Lucas S wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:25 pmIt also makes me reconsider getting port tongs, haha.
The tongs are good to see what cork says on the old bottles. Hate to break an old bottle, but seeing what the cork says is usually worth it.

It's great when that no label bottle ends up being '31 Noval. [beg.gif]
Lucas S

Post by Lucas S »

2011 Q. do Portal LBV
Pretty darn good LBV, certainly above average. Has a "light yet concentrated" character. Had some not-ideal volatile aromas that cleared up after a good long decant. Some spices, nice woodyness, and heat. Neither red fruit or dark fruit, but more in-between. Tannins are getting there, can definitely age further, but is at the beginning of a good window.
All is fair in love and Warre's
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Moses Botbol wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:00 pm The tongs are good to see what cork says on the old bottles. Hate to break an old bottle, but seeing what the cork says is usually worth it.
I think a couple of the bottles on my shelf in that photo were tonged. You usually can carefully sit the top back on in place. If that doesn't work, a little tape or glue would probably be sufficient.