Fonseca Guimaraens Question

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Richard Henderson

Fonseca Guimaraens Question

Post by Richard Henderson »

When Fonseca has an "off " vintage such as 91 or 98 it has the Guimaraens label as though it is like the Graham's Malvedos single quinta.
When they have a declared vintage like 92 or 94 it also says Guimaraens on the label.

Am I missing something? What is the difference?
Richard Henderson
Paul Eddy

Post by Paul Eddy »

On the bottles I have in the 'off' years the Guimaraens comes before the year and the words Vintage port. On the declared vintage bottles Guimaraens comes after. I compared the 77,80 and 83 with the 88 and 91.

Hope this helps

Paul.
Port is the wine of the Maritime Left
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Their labels have been the source of many discussions here. IMO, they need to do something to make they more distinguishable from each other. I think this will be even more important as SQVP's are becoming more prevelant in the market place.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Richard Henderson

Post by Richard Henderson »

Is the Guimaraens a single quinta? What is the make up in the off years versus the declared vintage blends if it is not a single quinta?
Richard Henderson
Steven Kooij

Post by Steven Kooij »

Usually yes: only in '78 and '82 was the Guimaraens VP a SQ (from Qta. d. Cruzeiro). In other years it is a blend, but Fonseca does make a Qta. d. Panascal VP as well.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Yes, it is not a SQVP. I was just using that as an example of the confusion that will only get worse as SQVP's gain more promenance in the market place. If your not Port savy, try figuring out the difference between a VP, SQVP, and a second label from Fonseca Guimaraens :help:

Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Paul Eddy

Post by Paul Eddy »

Andy, both of the labels you show do not have a year. I thought that if Guimaraens comes after or below the year it is a VP , if it comes above or before it is their second label and if it is a SQVP it would state 'Panascal' or the equivalent quinta name?

Paul.
Port is the wine of the Maritime Left
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Yes! We have no bananas..

OK, for the benefit of anyone who may be totally confused -

In reasonable 'second' years, Fonseca produce a second wine called Fonseca Guimaraens. It is not normally a wine from a single quinta (vineyard) so it is not normally a single quinta (SQ) vintage port (VP).

The wine is often good value for money in the marketplace, but don't expect it to match up to the mainstream blend in generally declared years.

and Yes! Fonseca need to review their current label designs to avoid confusion.

I have an old Panascal in the cellar somewhere (I think 1978) which has my vote for the most elegant label design of any bottle of VP that has crossed my path.

To my mind, the current Fonseca designs are not only too much alike, but also lack class and refinement.

A good designer would be worth the fee..

Tom
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

I got those labels from the Kobrand website, hence missing years on them. I believe those are the new labels. The slightly older ones were even more confusing (see pics below). The problem lies is that they all said "Fonseca Guimaraens" and "Fonseca" promenently at the top of the label. This confused even retailers, as I've seen them miss labeled in stores.