An impulse buy!

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Paul Eddy

An impulse buy!

Post by Paul Eddy »

I purchased a bottle of Martinez Directors port today and it says on the bottle it is a blend of several (unspecified) vintages, has been aged in wood for nearly fifty years and it was bottled in 1970. I have read about a Directors 20yr old Tawny but never heard of this one. Has anyone got any more info or thoughts? The colour through the bottle looks as though it has quite an orange tinge to it and the level is in the neck.

Paul.
Port is the wine of the Maritime Left
Alan Gardner

Post by Alan Gardner »

Unfortunately no info - but some thoughts and a question.
I have been a Martinez fan for years (unfortunately not of recent vintages - my tastings of 2000 vintage and later have ALL seemed flawed).
In particular the 40's, 50's and 60's vintages were all top value (OK - haven't had many different 40's). The 55 Martinez was (for me) the best Port of that vintage.
My previous searches found surprisingly little data. Certainly they were marketed by Cockburn - but I was never sure if they shared ownership (and hence Directors - which brings me around to why I hope this is relevant to your bottle).
In particular, I picked up a case of 1943 Quinta da Eira Velha - which is assumed to be the basis for most of the Martinez vintage ports. EXCEPT there is no mention at all of Martinez on that label! So it seems as if Eira Velha has had several owners (or maybe Martinez just bought the grapes).
Does anybody have any further knowledge on Martinez?

And getting back to your bottle - it seems to cover the period that, for me, was the 'Golden Age' of Martinez, so I'd be very optimistic.
Paul Eddy

Post by Paul Eddy »

Thanks for your insight Alan. I have only one other bottle of Martinez VP from 1970 so you have given me hope for that as well!

Regards Paul.
Port is the wine of the Maritime Left