1996 Dow Quinta do Bomfim Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Todd Pettinger

1996 Dow Quinta do Bomfim Vintage Port

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Dow Quinta do Bomfim Vintage Port – 1996

Light, yet intense red colour. Upon decanting a huge nose of alcohol and plum, but the alcohol blew off after several hours. You always hear of how Dow Ports have a very dry finish as a house style. Although I detected some dryness, this VP was much sweeter than I expected. Huge chocolate on the palate with a silky, creamy mouth-feel, almost a liquid milk-chocolate with plum flavours. Some smoke and earth on the mid palate, with a predominantly plum finish. Some tertiary flavours mixed in: raspberries, maraschino cherries and licorice.

On it’s second day, this held strong becoming a touch smoother and possessing a more intense mouth-feel. The chocolate became more defined and the alcohol all but disappeared from the palate, becoming evident only after you finish the bottle and stand up. Classy and elegant, it is definitely something I will buy a few more half bottles of.

Obviously too young, but good to try as a sample of what this bottle may be able to achieve in the future. At the winning price of $27C/bottle I am sure at least a six-pack if not an entire case of 12 will find it’s way into the cellar.
Lamont Huxley

Re: 1996 Dow Quinta do Bomfim SQVP

Post by Lamont Huxley »

Thanks for the thorough review. I almost bought this bottle tonight, but after a lackluster showing of the 95 vintage from this single quinta at my girlfriend's apartment last night, I opted to pass it by. After reading your notes I think I might have to go back and give it a shot!
The Port Maverick
Derek T.

Re: 1996 Dow Quinta do Bomfim SQVP

Post by Derek T. »

Todd,

I just deposited 6 of these into my long-term storage after tasting one bottle that gave the same experience as you describe.

It is possibly significant that 1996 is exatly 100 years after the year that the Quinta was purchased by George Warre. The 6 bottles I have are individually boxed with special commemorative labels. Perhaps some ectra effort went into the production of this wine?

Derek