1977 Graham's Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Elyas Beria

1977 Graham's Vintage Port

Post by Elyas Beria »

Drunk on 8/16/08 and decanted for about three hours. The color seemed a little more advanced than it should have been, more like a 1960 than a 1977. Very hot on the nose, lots of alcohols but I wouldn't say that it was too much. Could still make out some nice caramel and cherry notes through the powerful alcohol.

The palate was a little weaker than anticipated but still very enjoyable. A little thinner and sharper than I thought it would be but still nice; hints of caramel but predominantly of Amarene/sour cherry and maybe a little nuttiness if I remember right.

As with the color, the wine itself seemed perhaps a little advanced for its age but still an excellent Port.

###
Attachments
Grahams1977.jpg
Grahams1977.jpg (18.31 KiB) Viewed 418 times
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: 1977 Graham's Vintage Port

Post by Roy Hersh »

A fine tasting note and reminds me of many bottles I've had (never owned one though) of this particular VP. I have not noted the same color that you mention though, typically they are darker than that and seemingly more youthful. But the vast majority up until quite recently (3 years or so) have been painfully spiritous and extraordinary heat. Recent bottles about the last three or so, have shown much better integration of the alcohol.

I know plenty of people who love this VP and as many that feel just the opposite.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

The '77 Graham we had last weekend had a decent color for its age, yet had some vegetal notes. It lacked the sweetness of other Grahams. I did not find it too strong in alcochol, and 6+ hours of decanting did improve this vintage. Perhaps this vintage that needs more age? It was a port that was fine right after decanting, went downhill for 4-5 hours, and then started to turn around.

What happened at Grahams that year? '77 was suppose to be a blockbuster and one of Grahams worst vintages? I think I rated this 86 points, but we'll have to wait for the TN's to be posted.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I've not had this one in some time, but the last time I remember it being a little hot but not so much so as to be distracting. I'll have to try it again some time soon to see if its coming around. I also remember it as being a little lighter in color than a couple of the top VPs of that vintage, but it don't recall it ever looking like a 1960 VP....Wonder if the bottle was a little off. Was this bottle sourced in the retail or auction market recently?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Elyas Beria

Post by Elyas Beria »

This bottle was from a shop that also offers wine storage and supposedly they had been storing it since 1980. It didn't taste off to me although it was really sharp and thin with something that almost tasted a little metallic to me but not so much to warrant a comment at the time of tasting. It was really light, perhaps darker than a '60 if you were to hold side by side but that's the first thought that came to mind when I saw how light it was. And it did have a decent amount of heat but I wouldn't say that it was astronomically more than some other old Ports I've had. All in all I don't think it was stellar but not bad by any stretch of the imagination and would still recommend to anyone, especially since it's so fun to debate these polarizing Ports. Perhaps it's finally turning the corner?