Two desserts for port pairing

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Eric Menchen

Two desserts for port pairing

Post by Eric Menchen »

That pork tenderloin recipe inspired me to post about a dinner with ports for which I served two different desserts. I'll take recommendations for future port pairings, but this worked out pretty well:

First, dark chocolate and orange tart with toasted almonds. I've made this many times since the recipe first came to me in Bon Appétit. It finishes many meals well, goes well with stout and a few other beers, and apparently ruby port, which is what we had with it, Noval to be specific. I used half Callebaut and half Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolates. I don't usually buy Ghirardelli, but it was on sale so I thought I would give it a try. I'll stick with Callebaut and Scharffen Berger for flavor, but have to admit that the consistency of the chocolate layer worked out better this time with the Ghirardelli.

The second dessert was goat cheese cheesecake with red grape compote. The recipe came from the October 2008 Cuisine at Home, and it was most excellent. Cuisine at Home doesn't have the recipe on their web site, but I think this is the same thing. So if you want the recipe, apparently you'll need to send a message or post. Besides the goat cheese, the compote is made with red wine (I used my own Cabernet Sauvignon-Carménère), and walnuts, which are also featured in the crust. Mmmmm. With this dessert I served Barros 10 year tawny. I suspect a LBV or VP would pair really well as well. Recommendations?

-Eric