What would you Buy?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

If you had £500/$900/E700 to spend on port, what would you rather buy

Poll ended at Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:55 am

A single bottle of something old and special, eg. Croft 1945
11%
3-4 bottles of something with age, eg. Fonseca 1966
32%
A dozen bottles drinking well now but with improvement ahead, eg. Grahams 1983
47%
10 bottles of something needing bottle age before drinking, eg. Grahams 2000
5%
Something else (add a reply to argue what)
5%

Total votes: 19

Al B.

What would you Buy?

Post by Al B. »

I was browsing through some of the wine lists of the merchants that I use over the weekend and found myself daydreaming about port (as you do).

It occurred to me that we have this current odd pricing regime where 15-30 year old wines are relatively cheap compared to older or younger vintages.

I vary from month to month as to what I spend my money on and was curious to see how others would spend their money. So, I thought I'll start a poll and see what people say.

Suppose you had won the lottery and had £500 ($900, 700 euro) to spend on port. Given the bottles that you have at the moment, what you are drinking at the moment etc. etc. then how would you rather spend the money?

Nothing serious, just some fun.

Alex
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Alex,

Good topic - after some thought I went for the 12 x 1983's - mainly because my main objective at the moment is to build up stock for both current and future drinking. Something like this would give me thew option to drink 6 in the short term and cellar the other half for the future.

In reality, if I was told I had to spend £500 on port I would spend £1000 :P - my other £500 would probably go on the Fonseca 66's

Derek
Stuart Chatfield

Post by Stuart Chatfield »

I'd go for: "3-4 bottles of something with age, eg. Fonseca 1966"

Mainly because, on a hard economic/accounting analysis, that is the best value when you discount investment returns etc.
Stuart Chatfield London, England
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Derek Turnbull wrote:Alex,

Good topic - after some thought I went for the 12 x 1983's - mainly because my main objective at the moment is to build up stock for both current and future drinking. Something like this would give me thew option to drink 6 in the short term and cellar the other half for the future.

In reality, if I was told I had to spend £500 on port I would spend £1000 :P - my other £500 would probably go on the Fonseca 66's

Derek
I agree with Derek, as I am trying to do the same thing. I would also then use whatever money I had already decided to spend that month, of my own money, on getting the 66's
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Richard Henderson

Post by Richard Henderson »

In the last year, I have done all of the above.I bought some 55 Taylor , 4 special bottles. I have bought some 92 Taylor to complete my son's birth year collection. I have added some 2000's. I have added some 83's to our anniversary collection. I have bought some 66's and 63's. At a wine sale this week, a merchant I know well is greatly lowering prices on all manner of ports. I am adding some more in a similar combination.....some 97's, a couple of 66 Dow, some 1994's , 77 SW etc.

My position is , if the value is there, I would buy any combination of the above.
Richard Henderson
Justin K

Post by Justin K »

Alex, I also agree with Derek but for a different reason, I foolishly bought up small pockets of port, 2 to 5 bottles at a time, over a twenty year period and most of the 40's, 50's & 60's I bought are now drunk and whereas I am well stocked on 90's and 00 I have virtually no 70's & 80's. A case of drunken port is soon forgotten!