A Port milestone !

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

goncalo devesas

A Port milestone !

Post by goncalo devesas »

The barco rabelo (a small skiff used for the Port transportation) loaded with 40 to 50 pipes, that on that time (17th century), due to whirpools, exaggerated weight and strong tides was sank for lots of times during those brave journeys.

In 1887 with the railway construction, the Rabelo started to be less used.
Since the 16th century till May 1971 (when the last tryp was made) there were constructed about 300 skiffs on total.

Nowadays the transportation is made by tank trucks, but without the Rabelo, on that time it would be impossible to transport Port to the important seaport where we have now the Port wine cellars... and ship it to England and abroad.

By now we are still able so see the Rabelo skiffs on a race exhibition on St John day (24 of June) or even anchored along the lodges shore.
Attachments
361871718mqWQlE_fs.jpg
361871718mqWQlE_fs.jpg (55.15 KiB) Viewed 899 times
Last edited by goncalo devesas on Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: A Port milestone !

Post by Andy Velebil »

Last year I, along with several others from FTLOP, got to watch the race on St. Johns Day from the balcony of the Graham's lodge. It was quite a site to see...and of course we cheered on the Graham's boat appropriately [cheers.gif] :winebath:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
goncalo devesas

Post by goncalo devesas »

Andy, I´m sure that you´ll not forget our long frienship, on the next time... :evil:
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

goncalo devesas wrote:Andy, I´m sure that you´ll not forget our long frienship, on the next time... :evil:
There was a Devesas there [friends.gif] [help.gif]

I really would like to get back over there again to watch the race close up, from the river front at least. It was a big deal for the locals and lots of partying going on
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Gustavo Devesas

Post by Gustavo Devesas »

[1974_eating_popcorn.gif]
Together we fall, united we stand.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

In 2003, I took part in the races in what became a well-remembered year of the race. There's nothing like doing the race while bottles of Port are being passed around the Barco without a single glass. I was surprised how competitive the owners and captains get with their fellow members of the trade. All in good fun but what a party afterwards! Great times for sure.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Peter W. Meek

Post by Peter W. Meek »

Roy,

Do you know the definition of a boat race?

Two boats in sight of each other. Dunno why, but something about seeing a similar boat moving through the water just FORCES you to try to get a bit more performance out of your own.
--Pete
(Sesquipedalian Man)