20 Year Old Tawny Port by Sandeman

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Tim Swaback
Location: Hastings, Minnesota, United States of America - USA

20 Year Old Tawny Port by Sandeman

Post by Tim Swaback »

Most expensive bottle tried to date and I had pretty high hopes for it. It has not disappointed. It is also the lightest colored port I have tried so far. For me, this is the first truly "pop and pour" I have tried. Most of the others had a very distinctive spirit taste to them that needed a few hours to burn off but I am delighted to find this one great strait out of the bottle. I poured it at about 60 degrees and put the rest of the bottle in the fridge to chill it a bit more (after reading some of the other reviews). Quite a tangy taste that lingers and sticks for a great, lasting finish. Most expensive and also the best port,... or wine I have had in my 26 years. I expect to to get a bit better after it sits for a few hours but definitely enjoying it right now!
Tim Swaback
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 20 Year Old Tawny Port by Sandeman

Post by David Spriggs »

Thanks for the TN. I love this Port. One of my favorite 20 year olds.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Now you're really doomed. :wink: The 20-year olds are the sweet spot on the price-for-performance curve. You can find some really good deals at times, too, so I always try to keep a couple of bottles on hand for Port "emergencies."

Nice picture, btw! :clap:
Glenn Elliott
Tim Swaback

Post by Tim Swaback »

Well this 20yr for me was a splurge so regrettably I probably won't be trying another for a while. I've been slowly sipping on this bottle through the day and it continues to impress me. I'll have to look around for some other 20yr stuff and see if I can find a deal (hard to come by in MN). I really should have opened a Noval Black or 2004 Crasto LBV and had them side by side for comparison. I'm still learning a ton about port and should focus on the differences between Tawnys, Rubies, LBVs and VPs. I need to build up my supply first though... ;o)
Tim Swaback
Michael M.

Post by Michael M. »

Tim, a very good choice. I love this 20yoT too. Too my taste those 20yoT are often are even better on day 2 and day 3. Don't worry. It's something special and it would be quite boring to drink always at the top. There is lovely basic stuff too as it is Dona Antonia Reserve Ruby from Ferreira (which is in fact a Reserve Tawny).

Michael
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port
Tim Swaback

Post by Tim Swaback »

Thanks for the suggestion Michael. I'll have to keep my eye out for that.

Just thought I would put an update in. Today here in MN its about 90F with 70% humidity. I put the last quarter of the bottle in the fridge last night so I poured myself a chilled glass on this crazy sticky day. It absolutely hit the spot. I'm not sure if its my imagination but it seems like my glass today is quite a bit darker than it was yesterday. It is still very good and on a day like today its perfect.
Tim Swaback
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Tim,
A good note and picture as well. This is also a favorite 20 Year Old Tawny of mine and probably one of Tawny's I've had the most of. It never fails to impress even on hot days when enjoyed well chilled, as you discovered.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com