Reminiscing your first trip to Porto/Gaia and/or the Douro

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Reminiscing your first trip to Porto/Gaia and/or the Douro

Post by Roy Hersh »

We've heard about a lot of travels to Porto and Gaia as well as the Douro.

When was your very first time, were you alone or with someone special, and what stands out as some of the highlights of that very first trip?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Re: Reminiscing your first trip to Porto/Gaia and/or the Douro

Post by Derek T. »

My first trip to Porto was with my partner, Jo, in 2005. We stayed at the newly opened Hilton hotel close to the Boa Vista football stadium. This gave Jo access to all the luxuries she required to compensate for having to visit 10 port lodges per day for three days 8--)

We were very much on the tourist trail for this visit but I do remember being blown away by how friendly and welcoming the people were at the lodges. The highlight of the trip for me was the visit to the Croft lodge which was under reconstruction at the time. This meant that there were very few visitors and we were treated to a personalised tour by a very well informed guide.

The highlight of the weekend for Jo was when we met the Inter Milan football team in the sauna at the Spa in the hotel on the evening before their Champion's League game against Porto, but that is a different story :snooty:

My first trip to the Douro was with Roy and some of the gang from here on FTLOP during the 2006 harvest. An unrepeatable experience and a few days that sparked some close friendships that continue to this day.

[cheers.gif]
Jeff G.

Post by Jeff G. »

I met Roy in my very first travel to portugal along with a 5 lb crab [d_training.gif]
Disclosure: Distributor for Quevedo Wines in NY
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

My first trip to Portugal was a side trip during our 20th anniversary vacation in 2007. I'd received a bottle of Port in 2004 for my 40th birthday and had been enjoying Port off and on since then, but things changed when I signed up for FTLOP early in 2007. That made me want to "visit the homeland" so we added it to our France trip. We spent about 10 days in Northern France and Paris, then flew down to Porto and drove to Pinhao. We spent two days at Quinta de la Rosa driving to nearby Quintas, then drove back to Porto and spent two days at the Pestana visiting various Port lodges. Then it was back to France for a week in Provence.

Surprisingly to us at the time, the 4 days in Porto really turned out to be the highlight of the trip. The weather was perfect, the people were amazingly friendly, and of course the Port was fabulous. We had so much fun that we went back again for 8 days in 2008 and took my parents. I then went back again in 2010 on the Port Harvest Tour, and I'm hoping to get to re-visit Portugal periodically as the years go by.
Glenn Elliott
Paul Fountain

Post by Paul Fountain »

My first and, to date my only trip to Porto / Gaia (this will soon be rectified) was in 2008 and came after I'd spent several weeks in Spain.
I was only there for a couple of days as it was part of a tour that was continuing on to Lisbon. There were a few people in the group that were enthusiastic but on the whole we weren't very knowledgable. None of us really knew about decanting and didn't really know what was good or bad. I did get to dine at Taylors which was great. The port highlight was a 91 Vargellas and was one of the things that ultimately got me really interested in port.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Finding burgers at 2 AM at a place playing the Doors.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Loving reading these stories and funny annecdotes.

Eric reminded me of one of the more insane pre-tour moments from several years ago ... and there have been many that qualify.

Another fun one was after a long night of Vinologia, hanging out under the bridge w/ Andy & Stewart, watching and talking to the fisherman there, from about 1:00 - 3:00 in the morning with a bottle of Colheita. :drunk:

My first time was in early to mid- May 1994. Probably the standout of all was taking the train up river with my girlfriend and the jaw dropping awe sunk in as the vineyards of the Douro started to come into view. I was absolutely blown away. You never forget your first. :scholar:

I hope others will be willing to share their magic moment or great time from their 1st time. [cheers.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote:
Another fun one was after a long night of Vinologia, hanging out under the bridge w/ Andy & Stewart, watching and talking to the fisherman there, from about 1:00 - 3:00 in the morning with a bottle of Colheita. :drunk:
It was more like 4am, I oversleep the next morning and almost missed the beginning of the pre-day activities as I ran down the street to a new hotel dragging bags and wine box...oh the memories.

Mine started in 2006 meeting for the first time a rather serious looking dude wearing a Portugal tee shirt in the Newark airport, he said his name was Roy. A beer or two later, meet some more people from the trip, and off we went to Oporto. A few days later we meet some guys speaking with a funny accent and we all had the best time of our lives as we ate and drank our way through the Douro, staying up till the wee hours back at the hotel laughing and of course drinking left over Port, surviving on about 4 hours sleep a night, and Roy running us ragged...not that we complained as there was always Port, wine, and the odd Super Bock or four to keep us happy. I can now count many on that trip as my close friends and have since visited and traveled with them a lot. Oh the memories! [friends.gif]
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Rune EG

Post by Rune EG »

For many years I had the opportunity to do business in most West European (and some East European) countries, but not Portugal. Going to Douro and drinking a lot of ports do not go well with bringing three children (4.5 years between the oldest and youngest), so in spite of my great interest for port since 1979, Emmy and I went on our first trip to Portugal in September 2001. Just two weeks after Sept 11, so there were plenty space onboard the planes!

Stayed at Pestana in Porto (near the big bridge) and when standing on the quayside of Douro the first evening and looking over to Gaia and seeing all the signs of the ports that I love, then I was sure I was in heaven. After a couple of days in Porto we continued to Douro and had the Pousada in Mesao Frio (fairly close to Regua) as our base. Staying in a small building where I woke up in the morning and could see Douro through two different windows. Amazing. On that trip we took the train Regua/Pinhao-train and then a small boat back to Regua. And also a lot of driving. We both fell in love with Douro, and that love is still going on! Not sure if I had extraordinary experiences with the port that time, but do remember that I was positively surprised by the 1987 Fonseca Quinta do Panascal VP when we visited Panascal (and did the tour with the head phones).
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Rune EG wrote:but do remember that I was positively surprised by the 1987 Fonseca Quinta do Panascal VP when we visited Panascal (and did the tour with the head phones).
Oh no, not the headphones! I was trying to block that traumatic experience from my memory [help.gif] :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

It is cool to share others stories of their first time. I have yet to make it... Three young's and a missus who doesn't really count Port among her loves makes it tough. One day!
David Graham

Post by David Graham »

I described some of my introduction under a different thread but...

Went Fall of 2010 because Oporto is not a usual place to go and October/November is not a usual time to go. Pouring rain almost every day. Trying to find the Graham cave (check my name and you'll understand) and getting so drenched it even soaked my passport. I never did find it...

Chancing across Vinologia and checking back time and time again until I actually found it open and truly started my port education and love.

Having a half chicken at a churrascurio (3 euro 50 thank you very much) and watching FC Porto on the tv cheering with others who spoke no English.

All of this was on my own and I only felt slightly uncomfortable walking on a back street below the cathedral. My SO and I are traveling back there earlier in October and I cannot wait to introduce her to the gorgeous city and Vinologia - I anticipate many nights there this go-round. I really look forward to having a bottle on the riverside at night watching the lights
Anders

Post by Anders »

My first trip to Porto/Douro was in 07, with my friend, he got a wineshop.

I met Arlindo, from Casal Dos Jordes.

Eat lunch at Quinta De Erva moira

Soon, I will be going again :-)... yyeehhaaaa
Pinhao is my second home
Brian C.

Post by Brian C. »

My wife and I did a Globus tour of Portugal about 4 years ago. We decided on Portugal because we wanted to go someplace neither of us had been before. I can't say I was really into port at the time. I had only tried it a year prior, and liked it well enough. My favorite memory of our time in Porto was when we went to the open air market during the time we were allotted for lunch. We got a fresh loaf of bread, some presunto, and some quejo de Serra Estrela. It doesn't get any better than that. As for port, the group toured Ramos Pinto in Gaia, and the deal was sealed there for me. I wanted to find out more.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I love these stories and wish more people would participate and let us know about theirs. Great reading and thanks to those that did post! [notworthy.gif]
Ann M

Post by Ann M »

I met my love Sam in my very first travel to Portugal. I was love at first sight. I will live to remember Portugal.
Hello,
Am currently working online
USB flash drive
Pet insurance