Valentine's Day wines

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Ray Barnes

Valentine's Day wines

Post by Ray Barnes »

Hello everyone, just curious what the members are planning to uncork for this special occasion. My wife and I got the vinous roll going a day early, to try out the Domaine des Baumard 1998 Quarts de Chaume. Wonderful stuff, at 15 years being very fresh with perhaps another 10 or 15 years of good drinking ahead, from an "off" vintage. Love the Loire!

Ray
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Valentine's Day wines

Post by Andy Velebil »

On vacation but last night had "100 Years of Taylor's". A glass each of their 10,20,30, and 40 year tawny. Very tasty
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Ray Barnes wrote:Hello everyone, just curious what the members are planning to uncork for this special occasion. My wife and I got the vinous roll going a day early, to try out the Domaine des Baumard 1998 Quarts de Chaume. Wonderful stuff, at 15 years being very fresh with perhaps another 10 or 15 years of good drinking ahead, from an "off" vintage. Love the Loire!

Ray
I hear you on the Loire wines. I have a bunch of '76 "Le Mont" Moelleux that is rocking. Actually, thanks for the suggestion; you've helped me pick today's wine.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Ray Barnes

Post by Ray Barnes »

It sounds like Andy had some brilliant wine yesterday. :-) I also thank him and/or anyone else who fixed the link issue so that I could read his reply. To Moses, I would very interested to hear more about your great 1976. I found the Quarts de Chaume had a very positive flintiness to complement the sweetness and acidity, not to mention the bouquet was amazing. It reminded me of a top class Mosel wine, with its mineral undertone and fruit purity, only with perhaps more body and certainly more alcohol. At $43 a full size bottle, a great bargain too.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Ray Barnes wrote:To Moses, I would very interested to hear more about your great 1976. I found the Quarts de Chaume had a very positive flintiness to complement the sweetness and acidity, not to mention the bouquet was amazing. It reminded me of a top class Mosel wine, with its mineral undertone and fruit purity, only with perhaps more body and certainly more alcohol. At $43 a full size bottle, a great bargain too.
Well... I am drinking it right now. Best bottle I have seen is mid neck, this one was bottom neck. Bottle had very loose cork. Thought the Durand would do it, but the cork dropped right into the bottle. Poured bottle into decanter with cheese cloth and am drinking room temperature. This impression is from 90 minutes open.

Wine color is medium copper. Oxidized profile as you can imagine, dried apricots, hay, some floral note I thought was lavender like but sure if something else, crisp apples, with a penetrating finish. Acidity really rides strong and oxidation for what it is, has added another dimension. Not much on the nose, still in bottle stink phase. This is my fourth bottle I have had and mid example so far. At best the apricots really show and it's like great dry Sauternes with acidity.
Ray Barnes

Post by Ray Barnes »

Thanks Moses, that sounds like quite a special wine, in spite of the rotten luck with the cork. Since we are both fans of Huet, I'm sitting on one full bottle of the 1995 Cuvee Constance, which the wine maker claims has the potential to last a century. I hope my grandchild(ren) get to prove that.

Ray
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

You guys talking about Huet and Loire in general almost got me to bust out my old ('85 iirc) Le mont moelleux. Always temping to pull out big guns when I'm in the mood, but I have to remember when the lady is and isn't interested in me nerding out over wines haha.
-Brad

Ray Barnes

Post by Ray Barnes »

If iirc stands for if I recall correctly, that is one of the coolest acronyms I have seen in a long time. :-) Love to hear there are some Loire fans here!

By the way, the Quarts de Chaume was re-tasted today. The bouquet had faded a bit, but the wine's flavor was holding up well. I neglected to mention, the color was close to Imperial Topaz.

My wife's assessment of the wine: super yummy. Can't argue with that.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Bradley Bogdan wrote:You guys talking about Huet and Loire in general almost got me to bust out my old ('85 iirc) Le mont moelleux.
Elys came home later, tried the '76 Moelleux and did not like it. I drank the whole bottle myself.. [cheers.gif] Got a lot better as time went on. Actually, I just finished it 15 minutes ago. Nose improved and balanced out on the palette better than it did earlier on.
Miguel Simoes

Post by Miguel Simoes »

Bradley Bogdan wrote:Always temping to pull out big guns when I'm in the mood, but I have to remember when the lady is and isn't interested in me nerding out over wines haha.
V true.

Wine is def my thing here at home, one that the wife is v kind to tolerate/encourage.

V-day def not the time for me to push it :)

We ended up having a Cali Cab that she picked...
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Moses Botbol wrote:
Bradley Bogdan wrote:You guys talking about Huet and Loire in general almost got me to bust out my old ('85 iirc) Le mont moelleux.
Elys came home later, tried the '76 Moelleux and did not like it. I drank the whole bottle myself.. [cheers.gif] Got a lot better as time went on. Actually, I just finished it 15 minutes ago. Nose improved and balanced out on the palette better than it did earlier on.
Haha love when that happens as well. "Oh, you don't like it? Well we can't let it go to waste..." Haha. There's a good chance I'll wind up in Boston in a year or two when my fiancée starts her PhD work, I'll be happy to help you finish any such wines :-).
-Brad

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Miguel Simoes wrote:

Wine is def my thing here at home, one that the wife is v kind to tolerate/encourage.

V-day def not the time for me to push it :)

We ended up having a Cali Cab that she picked...
Smart man!
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com