1978 Fonseca Guimaraens Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Christopher B.

1978 Fonseca Guimaraens Vintage Port

Post by Christopher B. »

This is my first time posting on FTLOP, so please bear with me... [imnewhere.gif]

1978 Fonseca Guimaraens VP
Removing the cork - it came most of the way up in one piece, really easily, which surprised me, and then broke about 1cm from the bottom. I was able to pull that part out as well.

Upon opening - Very pale ruby color - pure ruby when looking through the glass, slightly salmon colour when looking at the rim. At initial opening, rather timid aromas of raisins, figs, orange and even apricot with a "wood like" element. Upon tasting, same aromas as when smelling but with a good persistance of the flavours and once again, the "wood like" element.

After two hours decant, the aromas shift more towards red cherries, cedar with a touch of butterscotch. A good length of the flavours when tasting, nice concentration and persistance of the flavours. I don't know enough about port to say whether this can still improve, but I found it very pleasant at this point.

All in all, I do like this port which is unlike any wine/port I have ever tasted. That being said, it really really reminds me of Cherry Marnier, the cherry liqueur produced by Marnier Lapostolle. It has about the same colour, same flavours and same weight, though it is made with... cherries.

This was purchased at Globus in Geneva, Switzerland
Mahmoud Ali

Re: 1978 Fonseca Guimaraens Vintage Port

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Welcome to the forum. A very nice tasting note indeed. I had a bottle of this a few years ago and your note reminds me of the experience. My bottle was sentimental as it was signed by the late Bruce Guimaraens, the winemaker. His son now makes the wine for the house.

I just happened come across a photograph of Bruce at the Fonseca tasting where he signed my bottles.

Cheers....................Mahmoud.
Bradley Bogdan

Re: 1978 Fonseca Guimaraens Vintage Port

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Great note, please continue to share your notes and thoughts with us! [welcome.gif] Its also always nice to hear I'm not the only one that snaps the ends of corks off [cheers.gif]
-Brad