Pink Port launched to mixed reaction - [www.harpers.co.uk]

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: Pink Port launched to mixed reaction - [www.harpers.co.uk]

Post by Roy Hersh »

Alex,

I agree 100% and when I see Derek next, I will have three bottles of white wine with me and see if he can pick out which is the White Port. :lol: :lol: :lol:

That will be far more amusing than watching a badly corked 1970 Taylor VP being scored "97 points and Port of the night" by a friend of ours. :wink:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

I've enjoyed reading all the huffing and puffing.

And when you all finish...the real market will decide. Sadly it will not be influenced in the slightest by all the previous Posts.

Mr Angry from Tunbridge Wells, will be delighted or incandescent, but never an influence of note.

Alan
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

HMMMMMM . . .
TFP probably had a good idea that the release of Pong would be ill received amongst Portonians .
But hey , why preach to the converted ?
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

The eagle has landed, guess they finally got sick of my whining and sent me a DHL bottle of Pink.

Now should I evaluate this chilled or at room temperature? :wink: Actually not such a rhetorical question, but I'll do it chilled because that is how I assume the masses will drink it. However, sans ice cubes for me. :Naughty:

I have a dinner party (Burg/Bdx) and wonder what my distinguished tasting group would say if this was my dessert wine for the night? :shock:

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Roy Hersh wrote:I have a dinner party (Burg/Bdx) and wonder what my distinguished tasting group would say if this was my dessert wine for the night?
I'd serve it pre-dinner, or during first course if you have something light served. No way is this going to satisfy after dinner. A second round (assuming they weren't sick of it already) could be served post-dinner.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Roy,

Is it M&S Ponk or Croft Ponk you have?

Derek
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Derek , It's probably Ping Ponk . . .
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

It took me an awful long time to read thoroughly through this thread... Not that my opinion will matter much, but I will weigh in on the debate.

TFP has every right to produce and market Ponk. I suppose Alex's argument about White Port being a bit of an anomoly is pretty close to the opinion I have as well. Some White is worth drinking, as are some Reserver Rubies and LBVs (filtered or not.) That being said, I prefer to indulge in the better (usually unfiltered and if possible, aged) LBVs, SQVPs and VPs. I enjoy the odd Colheita, although ones with age are difficult to get 'round here. Same with Tawnies with Designated Age (30-40 yr olds.)

I doubt very much that Ponk will show up here in Canada. If it does, great, if it is not too pricey, I may even buy a small bottle and weigh in with an informed opinion rather than speculation based upon my own feelings. What are those feelings? I doubt very much that Ponk will be good. I doubt I will like it (but I have been surprised before by things I tried to be open minded about and ended up being very surprised at.

However, as Tom has stated, perhaps Ponk is a mistake. I do believe in TFP's right to make a mistake too. Perhaps in a year or two, if no one else jumps on the bandwagon, Ponk sinks quietly and slowly out of sight forever. You can't blame them for trying I suppose. I just sincerely hope that if it is not taken up by mainstream drinkers (perhaps the French will buy tonnes of it - I hear they like their cheap ruby) I do hope that TFP's production in other, more IMPORTANT (in our opinion) types such as VP, SQVP, etc.

Of course, if the French (or other countries that are more famous for drinking QUANTITY rather than QUALITY) adopt Ponk and it becomes a brilliant loss-leader for TFP and other companies, allowing them to spend a bit more money and time on production of their more important VPs, then it will have been a move that played out well in the end.

You can also look at things this way: there may be those that are not particularly fond of Port producers who take some of their concentration away from production of Port (esp VPs and SQVPs) to dedicate time, money, effort and grapes to dry reds (to be used as a loss-leader).

Todd
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Although it arrived in a distinctly shaped bottle, with clear glass and a vivid pink hue, it is a unique product, even if it offers little hint at being in the Port family. It is billed as “The first Pink Port ever!” The Croft version is a different Port than the one released by Marks & Spencer. Controversial, innovative, heresy … you decide!

n/v ~ Croft’s ~ Pink Port – In fairness, I spent hours with this wine. First chilled and right from the refrigerator, later over ice cubes and finally, allowed to warm up to 60 degrees. It showed best when served cold as the acidity was more prominent and the spirit on the nose was less of a factor.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Roy,

Would you care to venture a score for the Croft Pink so that we can gauge its rightfull place amongst your other TNs? Your words suggest you were less than impressed but it is difficult to assess how you rate this stuff.

Derek
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I'm curious to see how this would be as a mixer. Say with tonic, club soda, or Red Bull...something like that. Might make a good appertif, just like a white port and tonic does.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
JacobH

Post by JacobH »

I eventually picked up a bottle of the M&S a couple of weeks ago, but have only just got around to opening it. I agree with much of what has been said above; it certainly tastes very different to any other Port and I can't see it enjoying much success with the existing Port market.

Drinking it at cellar temperature, it is rather odd on the nose. It slightly too chemical and synthetic. In the mouth, I notice the sweetness and alcohol the most. To me, the fruit is still apparent and the overall sensation reminds me of a mildly flavoured boiled sweet.

I don't think I can agree with some of the most negative comments above in this thread. Apart from the aroma (which perhaps suggests that it is, even at 19.5%, too strong), it is not a particularly unpleasant drink. If forced to drink one or the other, I would certainly choose this above some of the cheapest Rubies. That said, it wouldn't displace more conventional Ports my normal drinking habits and it I don't think it is quite good enough to compete with non-fortified desert wines, which would seem its natural place in the market. However, there might be a future in this as a cocktail bar drink, with a sprig of mint and a few ice-cubes, where its sugar and alcohol levels would be an asset.

For this reason, I do think the choice of name is odd. The natural market for this wine is probably the same market that would be put off by the word "Port". Indeed, if it were to be marketed as something else, then there might be a double advantage: potential purchasers would not be put off by the name and it could be improved by the increased freedom of not having to conform to the IVP's regulations.

It will be interesting to see how long this lasts in circulation.

-Jacob
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

andy velebil wrote:I'm curious to see how this would be as a mixer. Say with tonic, club soda, or Red Bull...something like that. Might make a good appertif, just like a white port and tonic does.
Andy,

This suggestion keeps coming up but I can't help thinking that it is hard to justify on the basis of price. The M&S Pink has an price tag equivalent to £12 ($24) for 750ml. This seems a high price to pay for a wine that only becomes drinkable as a Spritzer or, as Jacob suggests, in a cocktail :shock:

One thing that has been an absolute constant in every report we have seen of people tasting this stuff is that it is not nice. :snooty:

Derek
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Yeah, that would be a bit pricey to use as an inexpensive mixer.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Would you care to venture a score for the Croft Pink so that we can gauge its rightfull place amongst your other TNs? Your words suggest you were less than impressed but it is difficult to assess how you rate this stuff.

Derek
I agree with much of what Jacob wrote. Sorry Derek, that was just a teaser from the upcoming newsletter. It will be in your hands shortly, certainly within a week ... score and all.

I will say here and now, that I recognized no tell tale signs of this being Port. Not appearing in my rePORT, is the fact that I have had some Moscatels from the Douro that the Croft Pink seemed much closer to. That said, I did not find it IN ANY WAY OFFENSIVE like some others here have. Was it great? Heck no. Was it drinkable? Definitely. Was it designed for you or me? Absolutely not. Would I buy it? No. IF someone poured it for me while sitting outdoors during a hot summer day with a few ice cubes in it, straight up ... I'd be able to enjoy it. It is not a ponderous Port, nor is it pretending to be. It is a simply made, easy to drink, very sweet style of wine much akin to Lagrima White Port which I find absolutely lacking any reason for ME to buy.

However, there are people on this Forum who like Lagrima and I bet if there was not so much negativity in this thread ... we'd find some open minded souls, willing to admit that they'd drink Pink too. Having approached the PINK by Croft, with a TOTALLY OPEN MIND ... my honest assessment is that for those who like sweet, especially those who are NOT serious Port-ophiles, would be able to quaff this with no issues. I look forward to reaction to my score! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Start taking bets?

Last but not least, I DO BELIEVE that this may appeal to those coming of age moving from soft drinks to alcoholic beverages. I think the timing is bright, with summer just a short time away, TFP gets a chance to test the waters and gain some professional reviews, while possibly building a summer advertising campaign. I see this as being far more popular as a summer quaffer. Pop a few ice cubes, drink it like a wine cooler or even experiment with a shot of Tequila, Vodka or whatever is your fancy. This might be the alternative to the more heavy Port drinks that non-Port lovers would typically avoid during the hot summer months. Again, this is a product with a very specific target audience and I applaud ANY reasonable effort to promote and expand the category and lay the groundwork for attracting tomorrow's Port drinker. Like Al B. (or was it Andy?) who said a few pages ago, this is the kind of drink that will build momentum for the Port category, in similar fashion to what white Zinfandel did in the 1980's and '90'sfor those learning to appreciate wine before moving on to ever more serious wine.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Roy,

I look forward to the full report :wink:

Just one come back on your statement that you didn't find it offensive as others have, I think it is true to say you are the only one to have tasted the Corft, others, like me, have been commenting on the M&S version which has been universally rejected in terms of drinking experience.

Derek
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I don't disagree that we tasted different versions. In fact, I was told in advance that the Croft is definitively a different cuvee from what is in the M&S Pink Port.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Roy Hersh wrote:I don't disagree that we tasted different versions. In fact, I was told in advance that the Croft is definitively a different cuvee from what is in the M&S Pink Port.
Don't worry Roy, we will certainly have some M&S Pink ready for your visit in Oct :wink: :lol:

Derek
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Well then, I guess that outside of meeting Alan, I'll finally have something to look forward to. :help: :hello:
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Roy Hersh wrote:Well then, I guess that outside of meeting Alan, I'll finally have something to look forward to. :help: :hello:
Roy, don't get yourself too worried about the M&S Pink, it's not nearly as offensive as Alan :P :lol: :lol: :lol: :devil:

Derek