Pink Port launched to mixed reaction - [www.harpers.co.uk]

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Tom Archer

Re: Pink Port launched to mixed reaction - [www.harpers.co.uk]

Post by Tom Archer »

I am going to the Douro and VNG this weekend and will be visiting the Taylor Lodge in VNG
It's a tough job, but someone has to do it... :D

I shall be providing Derek with the benefit of my sofa on the night before this epic voyage, and fuelling him with Noval '58 to prepare him for the voyage..

..I might also fuel him with some Vargellas '67, but this is so good, the tank might run dry first... :(

Tom
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

uncle tom wrote:
..I might also fuel him with some Vargellas '67, but this is so good, the tank might run dry first... :(
If you promise to leave me some TQdV67 I promise not to bring the remainder of my M&S Pink :wink:
:lol:
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Are you blokes still rambling on about Pink Port? :hello:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Methinks they doth protest too much. :roll:
Glenn Elliott
Richard Henderson

Post by Richard Henderson »

Have we ever declared a thread dead? I vote we do so NOW!!!!!1
Richard Henderson
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

A unilateral declaration of death !!
Decant , If you must . . .
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Richard Henderson wrote:Have we ever declared a thread dead? I vote we do so NOW!!!!!1
Negative Goast Rider, that pattern is not full :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I am very much looking forward to Derek's posting his impressions of the difference between the M&S Pink Port and the Croft Pink Port that he just tried in Vila Nova de Gaia. Now this, should be very interesting and insightful, as I am sure that although biased somewhat, Derek did keep an open mind. He has a solid palate for Port.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Roy Hersh wrote:I am very much looking forward to Derek's posting his impressions of the difference between the M&S Pink Port and the Croft Pink Port that he just tried in Vila Nova de Gaia. Now this, should be very interesting and insightful, as I am sure that although biased somewhat, Derek did keep an open mind. He has a solid palate for Port.
Biased? Me? Never :Naughty: :devil:

I think I have now become the first person here to taste both the M&S and Croft variants of Pink Port. Please correct me if that assumption is wrong.

I tasted the M&S version some time ago and my thoughts are well documented here. The Croft Pink was tasted in the Tasting Room of the Fonseca Lodge in VNG accompanied by Andrew Costello, a Marketing Executive from Taylor, Fladgate & Yeatman. Now then, Roy, which one of us do you think was likely to be more biased at that particular event :wink: :lol:

In all truth, Andrew was extremely open and honest in his opinions on the Croft Pink and the entire concept of this style. If he chooses to publish those thoughts here or elsewhere that is for Andrew to decide and I would not wish to abuse his hospitality by speaking for him.

The Croft Pink was served at room temperature, which could not have done it many favours given it's style. I found it to be quite different to the M&S version. No cheap wine smell and no lingering astringent taste. To be perfectly honest I found it neither pleasant nor unpleasant. It did not remind me much of what I would consider to be a true Port but it was in no way offensive.

My conclusion: Croft Pink + Tonic + Ice on a summer day = a probable winner with the target audience. People liking Croft Pink and then chosing to drink other ports? We will have to wait and see.

I remain of the same view as regards the concept in that I think there would be more positive directions for the industry to move in to increase sales and widen the customer base but I can't level the same criticism at the quality of this wine as I did, and still do, at the M&S alternative.

Is that honest enough?

Derek
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Not only honest enough ... pretty similar to what I found. You know my normal scoring range and like you, I approached the Croft Pink with a totally open mind and scored it only 82 points. Like you, I saw no real impression of this being Port. But it was an ok drink and cold I can assure you it would have been better than your experience. Warm-er than chilled and (room temp) it would be way too sweet if not cloying. However cold, it is a modest quaffer that is quite sweet but would appeal to 20-somethings and women for sure ... especially at a dance club or on the deck during a warm summer's eve. Your report on the Croft was spot on, although shame on them for not serving it cold ... unless this bottle was just opened on a whim upon your request. If they do it that way for all comers, then please say so, as I know that Adrian Bridge reads here and will address that issue with his staff. Thanks for not putting Andrew's thoughts on the Forum. I am sure he won't be putting his thoughts in writing publicly anytime soon; probably wouldn't be a sound career move from your allusion. :wink:
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Roy Hersh wrote: shame on them for not serving it cold ... unless this bottle was just opened on a whim upon your request. If they do it that way for all comers, then please say so, as I know that Adrian Bridge reads here and will address that issue with his staff.
Roy,

I have to jump to Andrew (and TFPs) defence here. My tour of the cellar over-ran due to me rambling on about "what does that do?", "how many of those do you have?" "can I see inside a tonnel?" etc, etc. As a result we were about 20-30 mins late for a tasting that Andrew had planned with military precision in order to ensure I hit me next appointment on time. In the end I phoned ahead and delayed by 30 minutes to ensure I didn't miss anything at the Taylor or Fonseca lodges. We got to the tasting room much later than planned and the wines had been poured for us at the correct time in an atempt to allow me to hit my deadline.

Alas, there is only one person I can blame for me having to taste the Pink Port warm - YOU :shock: - I had no choice but to taste it otherwise you would have beaten me up in October :lol: :lol:

As an aside, I did end up being late for my appointment at Niepoort so Andrew offered to drive me there to make up some lost time. On the way out of the Taylor Lodge car park he jumped from the car and debated with a group of 3 men what was the best way to get there. Adrian Bridge, Alastair Robertson and David Guimaraens discussed the subject for a few seconds before Adrian pointed Andrew in the right direction. I don't think I have ever been given directions by a more influencial group of gentlemen :wink:

Derek
Richard Henderson

Post by Richard Henderson »

Perhaps we cannot declare this thread dead but can we pronounce it alive? :D :) :( :o :shock: :? 8--) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :wink: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :evil: :Naughty: :devil: :help: :snooty: :hello: :salute:
Richard Henderson
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Derek,
Thanks for the opinion on the 2 different versions. You are the only one I am aware of that has had both and posted TN about them. Seems the Croft is the better of the two by a good margin. I do want to try them, just for the sake of it. Glad

As for Alastair, Adrian, and David..I really think they were just making sure that Andrew searched you for any possible bottles of 1927 Fonseca hidden in your pants :lol: :lol:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
guilherme

Post by guilherme »

Finnaly could taste the Pink Croft , thanks to David Guimaraens who sent
the bottle down here.

Beautiful pink/salmon color with violet tinges. Very primary aromas,
too primary for Port or even "wine". Sweet, quite sweet, light body.Framboise.
Like waht we call here "capilé", a framboise syrup, a light and alcoholic capilé.
Displayng some harshness at the end. A watered down feminine Campari ?
That at room temperature, say atound 19ºC. Colder, I disliked it more. Harshness
shows up the more it is chilled down.Fruit closes down. Ice cubes help refreshing the sweetness, but
not a solution. At the end, ice cubes and tonica. I prefer Port Tonic (with white Port).
In a word, a sweet clean jeropiga. Could it be a trend ? Maybe ... David could try more
research and other prototypes, in my humble opinion. Shared with many talented Port tasters
present at a Douro 2005 taste. Save for the excentricity, and beautiful presentation, no more
highlights. A future as Port or wine ? Not in my opinion. As a beverage ? God knows. Maybe
a diferent winemaking approach could do ? Maybe I'm wrong and it will be a
great sales success ? I would try some more hooks and baits, but wouldn't
stay in this fishground too long. Anyway, who knows ? ...
Thanks again to David for the oportunity and for sending the samples, even knowing that the
comments could not be favorable. A truely professional and opened mind approach.

Guilherme
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

You thought this thread was finally dead huh? WRONG :P

A couple of weeks ago during the Harvest Tour we stopped by The Fladgate Partnership for a tasting. During the tasting I enquired about the Croft Pink Port and my wanting to try it. A bottle was brought that was slightly cool, but not cold. I was told it really is ment to be served cold or cooler than it was. Not a problem I said and I gave it a go....and was I surprised.

There was a lot of talk about how bad it would be, that it was bad for Ports image, etc. I must admit even I was a bit sceptical at first. I can admit when I am wrong and this is just such a time.

It had a very soft, silky, and sweet strawberry nose. The palate was also light and soft with some alluring floral notes that danced on the tounge. There was no heat on this at all, and I am sensitive to that especially in lower end Ports. A testiment to TFP using a very high quality brandy to fortify it with. The tannins were fully resloved and soft with light strawberries and white cherries. It rounded off with a medium length finish and all-in-all was a very well made seemless Port of this type.
84 points.
09/29/08

This would be a very nice light appertif well chilled on a warm summer day or, instead of using a dry white Port, mixed with tonic for a more fruity Port and Tonic. The TFP did a very good job on this and given the right group or person would have no problem recommending this Pink Port.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

It was fun to read this through again after about nine months. This certainly seemed to be quite the controversy when it first appeared on :ftlop:
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Ahhh, its back :help: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

It's back [berserker.gif]

I was searching for something else and ran across the longest thread in :ftlop: history, almost exactly 2 years after it was started.

I've now had the Croft Pink several times, as well as other producers Rose versions. I've quite enjoyed them all for what they are. Some I prefer a little better than others, but all have been well made. I dare say the quality is better than some basic Rubies I've had. Matter of fact I've got another bottle of Croft Pink in the fridge as I type this. If I didn't have to open an older LBV later this afternoon for the virtual tasting this month, the Croft Pink would be getting popped opened.

I think it's safe to say by the sheer number of producers now making a Rose style Port it's here to stay and doing quite well. If it wasn't being well received I don't think TFP would still be selling lots of it, Quevedo sold out of all of theirs already, and more producers are releasing them onto the market. :scholar:

I hope Pandora's Box didn't just get thrown wide open again [foilhat.gif]
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

:beat: [bye2.gif]
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Excellent. I already bet Andy a bottle of 1994 Vesuvio that Derek would be back to post in this thread inside of 48 hours. 8--) [yahoo.gif]