Biggest Port Disappointment You've Purchased?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Biggest Port Disappointment You've Purchased?

Post by Andy Velebil »

Kurt Wieneke wrote:Here are a few disappointments and trust me I have nothing against this house. :Naughty:

1970 Warre's - nothing really there, way below expectation; bought from a Fort Worth establishment; could have been cooked at some point during it's travel
1990 Warre's LBV - dark, cloying and one dimensional; could have been shut down
1976 Warre's Colheita - nutty and sickly sweet with tons of protruding spirit
I can understand the 1990 LBV if drunk recently. But the 1970 is normally a lovely bottle so I'd chalk it up to a bad bottle. I've had the 1976 a couple times and I didn't get as much heat as you. Was the bottle warm when you drank it? As that could cause the spirit in Port to be more in the foreground or you're just more sensitive to heat than I am. [cheers.gif]
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Kurt Wieneke

Post by Kurt Wieneke »

Andy,
Re: the colheita, you are right, I should have put some ice in it. :mrgreen:
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Kurt Wieneke wrote:Andy,
Re: the colheita, you are right, I should have put some ice in it. :mrgreen:
I find the Port gets a little "thin" once the ice starts melting. How about you? [foilhat.gif] [rotfl.gif]
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com