2017 Vintage Port Forecast

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Which option would you rather see (as a subscriber)

a. Brief impression done like the vast majority of others, sighted, one impression and brief note ... report released in late July.
4%
b. More in-depth report and TNs, done blind, 2x/day over 3-4 days, groups of 15 or so; with report released in October newsletter.
96%

Total votes: 25

Mont P Stern MD

Re: 2017 Vintage Port Forecast

Post by Mont P Stern MD »

I am not going to steal Roy's thunder from his 2017 report but having just returned from the Port Harvest Tour 1 and thanks to Mario attending the IVDP 2017 event, 2017 vintage Ports are very fresh and most definitely enjoyable young. [cheers.gif] Except for the 1 corked 2017 I was poured at a tasting, I enjoyed them all.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: 2017 Vintage Port Forecast

Post by Roy Hersh »

It was actually the event of the Confraria do Vinho do Porto that hosted the 2017 and did the official declaration ceremony. Yes, the IVDP's somewhat new President was in attendance for that, but the tasting included about 30 different bottlings of 2017's. It was a ton of fun and part of the Port Wine Day celebrations this year.

Thanks to Mont, for only providing a cursory discourse on his impressions. At every stop on both Harvest Tours we were able to taste 2017 Vintage Ports, which I believe is an important skill to learn. Not many people get to try as many when they are this young. I've found that many people really like these youngsters and by the end of the tour, they gain an understanding of what these are all about. But there are certainly some that find these too big and total fruit bombs and have little to no appreciation in tasting them. I understand both ways of looking at this and will continue to offer these and even some lagar samples when possible.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com