What have you opened this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Jonathan S

Re: What have you opened this week?

Post by Jonathan S »

1992 Fonseca VP (750 mL)

(Update: Wow! This beauty is still so youthful and vibrant! Cellartracker says that the drinking window is through 2029; I would say through 2050!)
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Jonathan S wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:04 pm Cellartracker says that the drinking window is through 2029; I would say through 2050!
Cellartracker is a good resource for a variety of information, but not great; and distinctly off for drinking windows IMHO.
Jonathan S

Post by Jonathan S »

Eric Menchen wrote:
Jonathan S wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:04 pm Cellartracker says that the drinking window is through 2029; I would say through 2050!
Cellartracker is a good resource for a variety of information, but not great; and distinctly off for drinking windows IMHO.
I’ve noticed that, as well, but it was glaringly off on this one! Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

1965 Kopke Colheita
Glenn Elliott
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Ramos Pinto 30 Year Old Tawny Port (Bottled in 2012)
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

What have you opened this week?

Post by Andy Velebil »

1982 Smith Woodhouse Madalena VP
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Mystery Bottle of Taylor VP. I say mystery because I won it at auction. It was without any labels and the auction house knew it was a Taylor but didn't know the year. I took a chance on it because it had a hard wax capsule. I could be wrong, but I thought that would mean it was an older Taylor, The ones I've seen back to '77 have some iteration of a green foil top not the hard wax (not sure if Europe bottles would be different), so that's why I assume that it's older.

The fill was mid to top shoulder. I pulled 2/3 of the cork out and it was soaked and dark. I could confirm it was Taylors because I could make out the writing on the side of the cork. Unfortunately I couldn't make out a year. My best guess is it's a 1970 because it's similar in taste to one I had a little while back. But who knows?

It was a little bit oxidized, but still good. I'm enjoying it...whatever year it is.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Cellartracker is a good resource for a variety of information
The most useful aspect of Cellartracker (IMO..) is the ease with which you can see which vintages of any well marketed claret house are the popular winners. Rather than look up critics' tasting notes (which are often far adrift from the median popular perception), good years and bad years, left bank, right bank etc., you can quickly see which years worked well for the particular vineyard, by comparing the average scores.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Tom Archer wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:48 am
Cellartracker is a good resource for a variety of information
The most useful aspect of Cellartracker (IMO..) is the ease with which you can see which vintages of any well marketed claret house are the popular winners. Rather than look up critics' tasting notes (which are often far adrift from the median popular perception), good years and bad years, left bank, right bank etc., you can quickly see which years worked well for the particular vineyard, by comparing the average scores.
By and large, I agree with you Tom. There are some good comments on there, but I use it not only to see what vintages are good but also to get a feel for the consistency of the producer. Any house can have a bad year or two, but typically I'll tend to buy from a house that shows consistently above the norm. That being said, if a house has a stellar vintage out of the blue, I'll happily try it, but my money is usually spent with the more consistent houses.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Had a 1970 Cockburn VP on Saturday. Spirity and on lean side. Great color. Good port, but not a stunner of the vintage. Been a few years since I last had one.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Moses Botbol wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:22 am Had a 1970 Cockburn VP on Saturday. Spirity and on lean side. Great color. Good port, but not a stunner of the vintage. Been a few years since I last had one.
You are just lucky that is wasn't corked! :diablo:
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Inspired by the Seattle area virtual group tasting (which I was not in), and since this might be the current mode bottle in my cellar:
1997 Quinta do Vesuvio VP
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

2001 Cockburn Quinta Dos Canais SQVP. It's the strangest thing. I decanted it and it was completely devoid of any smell. And then I tried a small sip like I always do right after I decant just to get a a first impression before it sits in the decanter for several hours. It was completely tasteless, almost like I was drinking water.

Six and a half hours later, I poured a glass after dinner. By now there was a slight aroma of blackberries, but very slight. I tasted it and again only the very, very slightest hint of fruit on the palate. Virtually no detectable viscosity and only the slightest acidic aftertaste. At the moment, it truly is a null tasting Port. I don't know if this is in a dormant phase or if this is just how this Port is. I've never experienced the near total absence of aroma or taste. Maybe by tomorrow night it will open up. Very weird.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Mike J. W. wrote:2001 Cockburn Quinta Dos Canais SQVP. It's the strangest thing. I decanted it and it was completely devoid of any smell. And then I tried a small sip like I always do right after I decant just to get a a first impression before it sits in the decanter for several hours. It was completely tasteless, almost like I was drinking water.

Six and a half hours later, I poured a glass after dinner. By now there was a slight aroma of blackberries, but very slight. I tasted it and again only the very, very slightest hint of fruit on the palate. Virtually no detectable viscosity and only the slightest acidic aftertaste. At the moment, it truly is a null tasting Port. I don't know if this is in a dormant phase or if this is just how this Port is. I've never experienced the near total absence of aroma or taste. Maybe by tomorrow night it will open up. Very weird.
Sounds like it’s in a funky phase. When they close up they tend to lose that fruit taste sensation you’ve mentioned. Curious how it may change with a long aeration.
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

And then I tried a small sip like I always do right after I decant just to get a a first impression before it sits in the decanter for several hours. It was completely tasteless, almost like I was drinking water.
I assume you checked your ability to smell and taste other things - you're not going down with 'the bug' by any chance..?
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Tom Archer wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:33 am
And then I tried a small sip like I always do right after I decant just to get a a first impression before it sits in the decanter for several hours. It was completely tasteless, almost like I was drinking water.
I assume you checked your ability to smell and taste other things - you're not going down with 'the bug' by any chance..?
That's the first thing I checked when I couldn't smell it. My sense of smell and taste are working fine, thankfully. I think it's like Andy said, it's in a funk right now which is surprising to me for a lesser known 19 yo SQVP.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

1985 Croft

If this bottle was representative, this Port is basically fully mature and drinking very nicely. No reason to hold them any further - drink 'em up and enjoy!
Glenn Elliott
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

If this bottle was representative, this Port is basically fully mature and drinking very nicely. No reason to hold them any further - drink 'em up and enjoy!
My experience of Croft '85 is that there are a lot of duff bottles out there..
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Tom Archer wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:53 am
My experience of Croft '85 is that there are a lot of duff bottles out there..
Agreed. '85 Croft has been a the butt of jokes when talking about a crappy port. That being said, I had one about a year ago and it was way better than I expected. Probably 89 points on that occasion?
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars