PORT OFFLINE in NYC?

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

John M.

Re: PORT OFFLINE in NYC?

Post by John M. »

I will be there. Maybe solo, maybe with a friend. Looking forward to meeting all of you.

There was talk of someone bringing a Colheita...I have a few if one of these would be of interest....let me know.

Dows Colheita 1997
Niepoort Colheita 2001 and a 1998
Smith Woodhouse Colheita 1994
Any Port in a storm!
Josh S.

Post by Josh S. »

John M. wrote:I will be there. Maybe solo, maybe with a friend. Looking forward to meeting all of you.

There was talk of someone bringing a Colheita...I have a few if one of these would be of interest....let me know.

Dows Colheita 1997
Niepoort Colheita 2001 and a 1998
Smith Woodhouse Colheita 1994
John, I think we are good with the three ports being brought by Roy, Jeff and myself.
SushiNorth
John M.

Post by John M. »

No Problem. If you change your mind, that's OK, too...just PM me.
Any Port in a storm!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Looking forward to tonight. I have a wine luncheon with some friends at Marea, but am more anxious for the FTLOP get together later in the day to share some Port. I will be decanting my bottle at 10 a.m.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jeff G.

Post by Jeff G. »

Roy Hersh wrote:Looking forward to tonight. I have a wine luncheon with some friends at Marea, but am more anxious for the FTLOP get together later in the day to share some Port. I will be decanting my bottle at 10 a.m.
great spot,

looking forward to seeing you tonight

For anyone getting there early

I shall be there aroudn 5:30-5:45 in the bar section.

head in and swing an immediate left

I shall be the table with a bottle of port on the table.
Disclosure: Distributor for Quevedo Wines in NY
John M.

Post by John M. »

For anyone getting there early

I shall be there around 5:30-5:45 in the bar section.
That settles it, I was debating taking a later bus but concerned over Friday traffic versus hanging out for a couple hours. Now I'll take the earlier one. There will be two of us--A buddy is coming along--a newbie to port.
Any Port in a storm!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

What seemed like a bridge over troubled waters, turned out to be a fantastic night. Nice selection of Port, very good food and GREAT camaraderie by the NY/NJ gang and the other coasters. Thanks to Jeff for putting this together with Josh's assistance. It was so nice to meet many of the E. coast guys from the Forum and see friends from the W. coast too. [notworthy.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Lamont Huxley

Post by Lamont Huxley »

That was a great night. Roy, Eric, Steve, John and Jeff, nice meeting you all. Jeff and Josh, nice to see you guys again and thanks so much for arranging everything. Thanks also to everyone who brought the wines. Once again Dow's 80 takes the prize! [cheers.gif]
The Port Maverick
John M.

Post by John M. »

100% agree with Roy and Lamont's sentiments--that was a fantastic night and great to meet some of the Port Personalities and enjoy some very nice ports. [friends.gif]

Special Thanks to Roy, Jeff, Josh and Eric for their generosity with their ports, too.

Jeff F. and I caught the bus less than 1 minute before departure--it was full with no seats left so we "bus surfed" in the aisle for the 1:20 drive. [foilhat.gif]
Any Port in a storm!
Josh S.

Post by Josh S. »

A great evening with some new Port friends; Wines included Dow 1980 VP, Fonseca 1980 VP, Gould Campbell 1980 VP, Warre 1963 VP, and a Ficklin 20Y Tawny (CA)
Thanks Jeff for making it all happen
SushiNorth
Jeff G.

Post by Jeff G. »

I missed my train so had to cab it back home, so that was amusing but did get me home in record time ;-)

great seeing old timers and new faces too!
Steve Pollack

Post by Steve Pollack »

That was really a fun evening. Thanks to Jeff, Josh, Eric,and Roy for supplying the wines. It was great to meet several new friends, and see some old ones as well. And special thanks to Jeff for organizing and hosting. A wonderful way to spend a Friday night in NYC. :thanks:
John M.

Post by John M. »

Here are my brief notes on this event:

1980 Fonseca VP: Decant about 8 Hours. Light garnet color. Slightly sweet, no tannins to speak of-has some qualities of a tawny-clove. Strawberry notes on the ned. Would say this is at its peak and should be drunk now. Got to love the style of the "army surplus" label. 91 Points

1980 Dows VP: Deep garnet color, aroma of raisin and date. Still lots of fruit and some tannins. Decent length finish with raisins and stewed strawberry. 94 Points

1980 Gould Campbell VP: Had bottle stink. Pop n pour. Purplish, dark garnet. Aroma a little harsh but taste was alright with licorice. Medium length finish--still fruity. Slightly flawed, but still pleasant esp. with lots of swirling. 91 points

Ficklin 20 Year Tawny: Rather tough nose with a harsh current tone. Very Sweet & oakey; tastes a lot better than it smells. Vanilla in a piquant & intense taste. 87 Points

1963 Warres VP: A bit oxidized, looks like strawberry candy (pink lucite)--pale, meniscus is nearly clear. Light aroma. A bit spirity (perhaps it needed more time in decanter). {I really didn't finish my notes here} 91 Points

WOTN easily was the Dows, but each was a pleasure to taste.
Any Port in a storm!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I had similar impressions and my scores were quite close too. Would you please post these notes in the tasting note part of the forum so they wind up being part of the database. I always like when well written impressions whether formal or otherwise are included and these definitely should be. Thanks John!
Jeff G.

Post by Jeff G. »

I believed we've also settled that the Fonseca 80 tastes better in NY than it does in LA [cheers.gif]
John M.

Post by John M. »

I had similar impressions and my scores were quite close too. Would you please post these notes in the tasting note part of the forum so they wind up being part of the database. I always like when well written impressions whether formal or otherwise are included and these definitely should be. Thanks John!
I was curious to know how you were finding these...I tried hard no to read upside down so as not to get "bias" and will do on breaking up the notes.
Any Port in a storm!
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

A very fun time. Good wine and company!
Thanks again to everybody. [cheers.gif]