What have you opened this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: What have you opened this week?

Post by Glenn E. »

Completing my 2017 New Year's (Port) Resolution, I opened a 1985 Fonseca VP and a Quinta do Mourao "60" Very Old White Port on Christmas Day for dinner and dessert.

Sadly I had a nasty head cold, so didn't take any notes. Both Ports were outstanding even with a cold, though, and the "60" easily cut through the head fog with its crystal clear acidity. I mentally gave them a 95 and 98 respectively, and honestly they were probably even better than that.
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

1966 Kopke Colheita, which was wonderful; and
1977 Warres VP, which was good, but not great showing for this.
Gary Richardson
Location: Clarksville, Maryland, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Richardson »

It had been a while since I opened a bottle, so last night popped a 1996 Quevedo Colheita. Fooled my wife ... she thought it was an LBV. Seems to straddle tawny and ruby aspects. Very nice.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

I opened my very first ever '85 Fonseca VP on Thursday and wow, what a Port! Fonseca's '94 VP is one of my favorites, but I think this one will rival it over time. I had purchased several bottles after reading all of the glowing reviews on here and it didn't disappoint. It still tastes very young and it's best years are well ahead of it in my opinion, but it is really drinking well right now.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Krohn 30 year old Tawny Port

1997 Souza Vintage Port
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote:Krohn 30 year old Tawny Port

1997 Souza Vintage Port
Was the Krohn from the old Premier Cru? If so they are starting to just now get a bit long in the tooth, er bottle.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote:

1997 Souza Vintage Port
Was the Krohn from the old Premier Cru? If so they are starting to just now get a bit long in the tooth, er bottle.
I just opened one as well, and mine doesn't feel long in the tooth yet, at least not to me. Lots of acidity, and that's saying something seeing as it's following a glass of RWC Imperial Malmsey.

I'm getting an apple note that's unusual, but that could be due to the Madeira.
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Glenn E. wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:

1997 Souza Vintage Port
I just opened one as well, and mine doesn't feel long in the tooth yet, at least not to me. Lots of acidity, and that's saying something seeing as it's following a glass of RWC Imperial Malmsey.

The key word is; Just starting. I bought about 2 cases worth of this over a few different times they had it cheap. The last few bottles I've had this past year have started to show some softening of the acidity and "crispness" it had early on. They are just now starting to show some of those changes we've talked about in TWAIOA. Still a very nice Port, so don't get me wrong. But I wouldn't hold them past this year if you want them to show their very best, IMO.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:Was the Krohn from the old Premier Cru? If so they are starting to just now get a bit long in the tooth, er bottle.

The key word is; Just starting. I bought about 2 cases worth of this over a few different times they had it cheap. The last few bottles I've had this past year have started to show some softening of the acidity and "crispness" it had early on. They are just now starting to show some of those changes we've talked about in TWAIOA. Still a very nice Port, so don't get me wrong. But I wouldn't hold them past this year if you want them to show their very best, IMO.
Arghh. I have 2 of the 30 Anos Wiese & Krohn in the old sand blown bottle, which has an older bottling date that these you are referring to I presume? What is the bottle date precisely of your bottles?
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Thomas,

IIRC, 2013 is when they were bottled.

And as a side note. I've found that, in general, Krohn's tawny's tend to be better within a few years after bottling. Then they start a slow slide to that softer side.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Mike J. W. wrote:I opened my very first ever '85 Fonseca VP on Thursday and wow, what a Port!
I buy all of that vintage when I see it at a good price. Not as easy finding cases of it for under $600 as it use to be.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Moses Botbol wrote:
Mike J. W. wrote:I opened my very first ever '85 Fonseca VP on Thursday and wow, what a Port!
I buy all of that vintage when I see it at a good price. Not as easy finding cases of it for under $600 as it use to be.
I wish I could find it at $600 a case or under. I feel lucky when I can find it in the low 70's.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

2007 Quinta do Portal VP
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Thomas V wrote:2007 Quinta do Portal VP
How was it?
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Thomas V wrote:2007 Quinta do Portal VP
How was it?
Alas it has been too long since I typed in taste notes on the forum. Mistake corrected. Here you go good sir. [cheers.gif]

https://fortheloveofport.com/ftlopforum ... 12&t=41053
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I opened a 20cl bottle of Maynard's 10 year old tawny at the weekend, just the right size to round off an evening. Despite it being a brown and sticky port, it was very good — probably one of the best 10YO tawnies I've ever drunk.
John M.

Post by John M. »

1991 Warres in a 375mm...my last one. Probably the worst showing of the bunch but still pretty good. Opened to celebrate my son's birthday---later to celebrate the Eagles win.
Any Port in a storm!
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Taylor's 325 anniversary special Tawny. It's nothing special inside but the bottle design is cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
J Gammelgaard

Post by J Gammelgaard »

Still a novice and trying to find out what My taste is.
Therefore I've opened a Vintage Port and a Colheita.
Gould Campbell 1985 Vintage Port
And
Bulas 1996 Colheita
Both Very Very Good, I think.

Cheers from Denmark :-)

Sendt fra min SLA-L22 med Tapatalk
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Private tasting with 5 guys, each had to bring 2 bottles.

1935 Sandeman VP
1945 Ramos Pinto VP
1960 Sandeman VP 0.375
1970 Smith Woodhouse VP
1992 Taylor's VP

Niepoort VV
70 Anos DR (Agri Roncao) Tawny
60 Anos S. Leonardo Tawny
50 Anos DR White (Agri Roncao) - Cask Sample
1977 Barros Colheita