Difference between Fonseca and Fonseca Guimaraens

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Raj Patil

Difference between Fonseca and Fonseca Guimaraens

Post by Raj Patil »

What is the difference of these two bottles from vintage 2000?
Thanks
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Fonseca Guimaraens is the company or producers and Fonseca is the brand for their declared Vintage Port, like in 2000. Some wine shop could display both names.

But in undeclared year, like 2001, Fonseca Guimaraens will release a vintage Port called Fonseca Guimaraens but they don't release both VP the same year, instead they will also release in some year a single quinta port called Quinta do Panascal.

This is only a question a brand, only the best Vintage Port can bear the brand Fonseca.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

To clarify, Fonseca is not a brand, it is the name of a Port Shipper with deep roots in Portugal which was founded in 1822 by Manuel Pedro Guimaraens. Fonseca produces most of the "special categories" such as LBV, 10 and 20 year old Tawny Port, Reserva (used to be Vintage Character) such as Bin 27 as well as Vintage Port in declared years. Today, David Guimaraens, one of the most talented young Portuguese winemakers is the 6th generation of Guimaraens' family members in the company.

Fonseca Guimaraens is a "brand" and is used as a second label in vintages where the "classic" Vintage Port is not declared. Fonseca Guimaraens does not produce other types of Ports, as does Fonseca.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Raj Patil

Post by Raj Patil »

I'm sorry guys now I'm a little confused. i bought a couple cases of the 2000 vintage, but panicked when I saw the case labelled as Fonseca Guimaraens. Am I safe that the 2000 that I bought was Fonseca vintage 2000 and not a second label? Thanks
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

YES. It is definitely Fonseca. As Frederick stated above, in a vintage when Fonseca VP is released, the Guimaraens never is. Again, Fonseca is what is normally found on the OWC (original wooden case) but the side panel may also have the Fonseca Guimaraens "logo" with the "Est. 1822 Vinhos S.A. Oporto - Portugal, also written.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com