Friday Night Entertainment

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Derek T.

Friday Night Entertainment

Post by Derek T. »

Stewart,

I have been checking in frequently tonight and the site seems to be deserted. Could we please have some tumbleweed annimation to let us know when the Forumites are otherwise engaged?

Derek
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

Did the lads not tell you?
Its 'How to Polish your Corks' Class at Night School.
We're all just getting back. They probably thought you couldn't be taught anything after that last picture. :D :D :D

Alan
Jay Powers
Location: Pacifica, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jay Powers »

This place is dead, dead, dead. Where are the Bush/Blair/Gordon Brown jokes? Where is the discussion about tasting a young VP and being instantly pulled down to hell? Shall we talk about my Sauterne collection? Shall we discuss the merits of the 2005 Reisling harvest (which I am enjoying prematurely as I write this)? Will I be pulled down to the netherworld in punishment, as these will be moderately better in a couple years (or even decades for the sweeter ones) :D

Derek, how is the first Scottish PM-to-be over there? He looks a wee dour, is he going to chip up a little now that his long wait is coming to an end?

Toodle Pip!

Jay
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I just strolled in from a LONG afternoon hanging with friends at the bar...the only Port to be had was a Sandeman 20 year (from a bottle opened in front of me :D ) at the end of a long drink-a-thon...OK im tired, so I'll give you back your tumbleweeds until tomorrow.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Jay Powers wrote: Derek, how is the first Scottish PM-to-be over there? He looks a wee dour, is he going to chip up a little now that his long wait is coming to an end?
Jay, break out the Green Cards - 5 million Scots are currently packing their bags to leave for good.

"wee dour" doesn't really sum him up "son of GWB with slightly less intelligence" is closer to the truth :?

I can honestly say that this man becoming First Minister of Scotland is the worst political development of my lifetime, even worse than Maggie Thatcher or Ronald Reagan :shock:

Derek
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

Jay,

You can drink as much Riesling as you can stomach for me.
I'm sure if you've got a quality collection, you'd find one I like, but at the lower end of life, I've always struggled to find a Riesling I want to revisit.
Thats the thing about life (And forums), its all about opinions and different tastes. :D

Viva La Differnce

Alan
Jay Powers
Location: Pacifica, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jay Powers »

Derek Turnbull wrote:
Jay Powers wrote: Derek, how is the first Scottish PM-to-be over there? He looks a wee dour, is he going to chip up a little now that his long wait is coming to an end?
Jay, break out the Green Cards - 5 million Scots are currently packing their bags to leave for good.

"wee dour" doesn't really sum him up "son of GWB with slightly less intelligence" is closer to the truth :?

I can honestly say that this man becoming First Minister of Scotland is the worst political development of my lifetime, even worse than Maggie Thatcher or Ronald Reagan :shock:

Derek
Wow :shock: Worse than Maggie and Rap-master-Ronnie? A harsh world indeed :cry:

Do you think that you and your fellow Scots could bring all of the UK's Ports with you when you come? I would guess that Gordon would instantly get a vote of no confidence if you did!

Jay
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Ah, we seem to be on different guys here Jay.

I'm talking about Alex Salmond, the guy who is about to become the Scottish First Minister. He is head of the Scottish National Party who are dedicated to only 1 policy, separation of Scotland from the UK. This can only be disaster if it happens. Whilst I am normally the last person to wish bad things to happen to anyone it we be good if one or two of his fellow Members of the Scottish Parliament would get run over or fall down a large hole thereby causing another election due to the fact they only have a majority of 1.

As for Gordon, I'm not convinced he has the Statesmanlike qualities to carry off the Prime Minister role.

Derek

PS: Whatever happens, you ain't getting our port :lol:
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Derek Turnbull wrote:

Correct moi , If I'm wrong , but wasn't Maggie the only man in the British parliament :roll: :roll:

Derek
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

Margret Thatcher...

Now there was a leader. Took no prisoners and destroyed the Nanny State.

Ah, fond memories. :salute:

Alan
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

It seems that the tumbleweed has spread to Thursday nights :?

Come on guys - where are you?

Derek
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

I've been busy at the wine store...had to get by 2004 Krohns VP for the June Virtual Tasting :D
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

I'm in now and having a wonderful Taylor LBV from 2000. This one is nice. I am sure by tomorrow it will be harsh and spirity, so I'm drinking up now while the drinking is good!!! :winebath: :drunk:

Todd
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

Todd,

When you make your much vaunted return to IronMan Events, or whatever they are called, could we have a photo?
I think it will be interesting seeing a bloke with a Port Gut and blood shot eyes, puffing and wheezing, in amongst all those athletes.

Alan :joker:
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

Gordon Brown (texture like Sun), will not be the first Scot to be PM. There have been several Scots that have been PM and many more that have been Party leaders - John Smith, Menzies-Campbell and Chuckie Kennedy recently. Tony Blair, himself, is actually a Scot - born there and lived there in his formative years.

Bannerman, Gladstone, Hume, Asquith and Law all represented Scottish constituencies. Nothing wrong with it.

I have an objection to the fact that he was not elected to his position, he went unopposed.
I'm telling you - Port is from Portugal.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Alex,

I agree, Big Brownie should not have been just handed the job without an election of some sort. Then again, the alternative would probably have been to hand the job to our esteemed Deputy Prime Minister, Johny Two-Jags :?

I think we should give Maggie another pop at it. She will have mellowed with age and and I'm sure her decreased grey matter would make her a good match for GWB :lol: :lol:

Derek
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

I have an objection to Social interference, Nanny States, weak punishments, the lack of the Death Sentence, Millenium Domes, London Olympics, and all the other ways Governments (Mostly Labour) balls up our life and money!
If ever a Right Wing Party cleans up its act, and requires individual responsibility, worthy deterents(from Murderers to anti-social behaviour), and lets us keep more of the money we earn....they've got my vote!

Ok, I'll get off the Political Soap Box....
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

I think everyone is out this weekend... the forum is rather quiet.
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

It's been deathly. I've been in and out all weekend and there has been one member logged on only - KillerB. I think there was a 24 hour posting drought.
I'm telling you - Port is from Portugal.
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

I agree - I have been "gone" all weekend. ;)
It is the long weekend here in Canada, celebrating no other than Victoria Day. Still sticking with the roots of the Empire! ;)

Todd