The definitive book on Vintage Port is now on sale

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Martin Peeters

Re: The definitive book on Vintage Port is now on sale

Post by Martin Peeters »

Bert VD wrote:sooooo... who will write the follow up about the 'smaller' producers? Crasto, Passadouro, Borges, Junco, DR, Barros, Vallado, Burmester, Churchill, Pacheca, Pocas, Vieira De Sousa, Portal, Vale Meao, Alves De Sousa, Rocha, Duorum and so on :D

Yes please!!!!
cliburn
Location: Minnetonka, Minnesota, United States of America - USA

Post by cliburn »

My copy arrived today.
Happy to say it arrived in excellent shape.
Steve E.

Post by Steve E. »

Roy Hersh wrote:I hope sales have exceeded expectations. [cheers.gif]

I have had a number of requests to be kept informed if a 2nd edition or a 2nd printing were to be released. I told them (8-10 ppl) that it may not be anytime soon.

What say you sir?
I received mine today too. Although it wasn't as bad as some people's, I was surprised at how little packaging was done to protect it. There are several pages that are dented, but I don't see a corresponding dent on the packaging. It could have happened prior. I guess I'm fortunate that it made the trip across the ocean in decent shape.

I went to the web site, and it looks like they're announcing a resumption of sales in 2019. So it must have done well. However, it does reduce the exclusivity of those of us who thought we were getting a one-off printing of the book (or maybe it was just me).
~Steve
Mark Henderson

Post by Mark Henderson »

I may be one of the most distant purchasers, and my copy made it all the way to Dunedin in New Zealand this morning (about 20.00 Friday evening GMT). As many others have already mentioned, the packaging was fairly flimsy and completely open at both ends, but the book has come through safely and undamaged.
Julian D. A. Wiseman

Post by Julian D. A. Wiseman »

Steve E. wrote:I received mine today too. Although it wasn't as bad as some people's, I was surprised at how little packaging was done to protect it. There are several pages that are dented, but I don't see a corresponding dent on the packaging. It could have happened prior. I guess I'm fortunate that it made the trip across the ocean in decent shape.
Mark Henderson wrote:I may be one of the most distant purchasers, and my copy made it all the way to Dunedin in New Zealand this morning (about 20.00 Friday evening GMT). As many others have already mentioned, the packaging was fairly flimsy and completely open at both ends, but the book has come through safely and undamaged.
I’m pleased they’ve arrived, at least one completely undamaged.

Re packing, my repeated disappointment with Mailing and Data Solutions continues. And I think the chief man knows that, while he was away, they were rubbish. After all my work, it just seems wasteful for the fulfilment not to be able to do the one job it had to do, and that I could not supervise. I’m sorry, and angry. {End rant.}
Julian D. A. Wiseman

Steve E. wrote:I went to the web site, and it looks like they're announcing a resumption of sales in 2019. So it must have done well. However, it does reduce the exclusivity of those of us who thought we were getting a one-off printing of the book (or maybe it was just me).
Not all were sold. Because of the fulfilment company’s incompetence, I don’t know how many will be needed to be exchanged for damaged. When I know that, the remainder will be sold.

My plan is not to do a second printing. But if there is huge demand, then I should. In which case, I envisage that it would be clearly marked as a second printing — remove jacket and inspect lower-right of cover. But my expectation is that only a few dozen people will want, which would be too few by a factor of a few dozen. I’d love a thousand people clamouring for a reprint {cranes neck to look around door; sees fewer than that; shrugs; sips coffee}.

Is that fair and sensible?
Gary Richardson
Location: Clarksville, Maryland, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Richardson »

My copy arrived yesterday. The box was opened and the book was very slightly damaged, but I am OK with it as-is. Now I don't have to worry so much about spilling Port on a pristine copy. Very impressive work. I thumbed through it quickly and can't wait to spend some quality time with it. Very happy with my purchase.
Julian D. A. Wiseman

Gary Richardson wrote:My copy arrived yesterday. The box was opened and the book was very slightly damaged, but I am OK with it as-is. Now I don't have to worry so much about spilling Port on a pristine copy. Very impressive work. I thumbed through it quickly and can't wait to spend some quality time with it. Very happy with my purchase.
Thank you for being OK. My position is clear from previous comments in this thread, so, just thank you.
Julian D. A. Wiseman

Readers might be interest in a thread entitled Musings on a book (not started by me; on the other major Port bulletin board).
Paul Fountain

Post by Paul Fountain »

Merry Christmas all!
My copy arrived in good condition on Christmas eve. I've had a quick flick through but am looking forward to sitting down and having a good read now that my family commitments have finished for the day. Alas this won't be with a glass of port as I haven't been home for about a day and a half and we have had some pretty warm weather here so my house is still an oven. Definitely not optimal Port weather [cheers.gif]
madgrendel

Post by madgrendel »

Has anyone else in the Dallas/Fort Worth Texas area received their book yet via regular mail? Not sure how long it might be taking, but it looks like I'm lagging behind others.

Jim
Julian D. A. Wiseman

madgrendel wrote:Has anyone else in the Dallas/Fort Worth Texas area received their book yet via regular mail? Not sure how long it might be taking, but it looks like I'm lagging behind others.
Please email sales@.