The definitive book on Vintage Port is now on sale

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Julian D. A. Wiseman

Re: The definitive book on Vintage Port is now on sale

Post by Julian D. A. Wiseman »

An ambiguous message was been received from the fulfilment company, at about 4pm today = Fri 30th Nov.

> Just to let you know, the job is ready for dispatch. I will have the bulks dispatched on Monday, so you should receive yours by Tuesday.

Given that fifty are being delivered to me, that might mean that the non-bulks have been shipped today. Have they? And how many books is “bulk”? I asked by email (no reply); I phoned (several times; phone not answered). Sigh. The ambiguity is not my fault, except in the sense that it came from my subcontractor. Sorry: I do understand that it irritating me does not help you.

So, when your book(s) arrive, if you are able to post in here on FTLOP (or on ThePortForum), please help the others by posting to say how many arrived, and when. Please also say approximately where you are in the world, and whether you are remotely rural or speedily urban.

Thank you.

Despite this, I’m confident you will be pleased. Reading it will take you several Imperials.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Julian D. A. Wiseman wrote:Despite this, I’m confident you will be pleased. Reading it will take you several Imperials.
Alas, I have but one Imperial. I may have to tap into my small stock of Tappit Hens, or my slightly less small stock of Magnums.

Or I'll just drink a case of 40s. :wink:
Glenn Elliott
Julian D. A. Wiseman

Glenn E. wrote:Or I'll just drink a case of 40s. :wink:
If you get through the book in a dozen bottles, then you drink slowly or read fast. Or both.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Julian D. A. Wiseman wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:Or I'll just drink a case of 40s. :wink:
If you get through the book in a dozen bottles, then you drink slowly or read fast. Or both.
Compared to most people, both. That said, less than 50 pages per bottle?

While reading for entertainment, I can approach 100 pages per hour. More typically 80-ish. (Kari reads significantly faster than I do.) For denser books, I slow down to ~40 pages per hour. As this book will likely qualify as "extra dense" I might only manage 20 pages per hour.

I don't drink an entire bottle of Port by myself in 2.5 hours, especially not a 40 year old Tawny Port that I prefer to sip and savor. If I manage half of a bottle in an evening, I'm doing well.
Glenn Elliott
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Glenn E. wrote:Or I’ll just drink a case of 40s. :wink:
For a while I was both worried and impressed. A case of ‘40s to accompany the first reading of The Book. That was taking The Book seriously, as it should be.

And then Glenn mentioned 40YO Tawny and all became clear. There wasn’t about to be a case of 1945s removed from the world.
Last edited by Al B. on Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Julian D. A. Wiseman

Al B. wrote:
And then Glenn mentioned 40YO Tawny and all became clear. There wasn’t about to be a case of 1945s removed from the world.
Ah, that’s what he is planning to drink to while reading a book called Port Vintages. How strange.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Yes, it made no sense even to this neighbor 4.8 km to the west. But he is Mr. Tawny, so he needs not make sense, especially with 40's. [foilhat.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Julian D. A. Wiseman

Message received from the fulfilment company, at about noon today = Mon 3rd Dec.

> The singles (1 copy) mailed on Friday and bulks (2 and above) are leaving from today. You will receive yours tomorrow. 10 boxes.

I know that a single ordered to London did not arrive today, but tomorrow, Tue 4th Dec, is surely quite likely.

As said before, please, when your book(s) arrive, if you are able to post here on FTLOP (or on ThePortForum), please help the others by posting to say how many arrived, and when. Please also say approximately where you are in the world, and whether you are remotely rural or speedily urban.

Thank you.

PS: the ‘advertising’ did say “Delivery expected before Christmas”; tomorrow is three weeks before that day.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Al B. wrote:
For a while I was both worried and impressed. A case of ‘40s to accompany the first reading of The Book. That was taking The Book seriously, as it should be.

Do you really think I would commit a crime when the Sheriff is present?
Glenn Elliott
Julian D. A. Wiseman

Glenn E. wrote:
Al B. wrote:

Do you really think I would commit a crime when the Sheriff is present?
I like the gentle hint at Alex’s curl-direction crime.
Julian D. A. Wiseman

Reports have been received of single books arriving in Cornwall, and in St Andrews. A bulk shipment of books arrived in South London. But a single that was ordered to be delivered to my office in central London did not come today (Tue 4th Dec).

Make of that what you will.

Edit: also a single near Romford.
David L

Post by David L »

My copy of The Book arrived here in speedily urban London today, and it is very good indeed. :D
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Two books arrived in Chesterfield on Wednesday.

It has taken one bottle of Graham's Malvedos 1986 to reach the Dow chapter [cheers.gif]
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Derek T. wrote:Two books arrived in Chesterfield on Wednesday.

It has taken one bottle of Graham's Malvedos 1986 to reach the Dow chapter [cheers.gif]
Perhaps you should now open a Dow's and keep reading.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
David L

Post by David L »

Don't we have to drink Port from the House that we are reading about? Have you read the small print?
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote:

Perhaps you should now open a Dow's and keep reading.
+1
:scholar:
:winepour:
:thumbsup:
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

David L wrote:

Don't we have to drink Port from the House that we are reading about? Have you read the small print?
Oh, good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Julian D. A. Wiseman

David L wrote:Don't we have to drink Port from the House that we are reading about? Have you read the small print?
No. You have to drink Port which is of both that Shipper and that Vintage.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Julian D. A. Wiseman wrote:
David L wrote:Don't we have to drink Port from the House that we are reading about? Have you read the small print?
No. You have to drink Port which is of both that Shipper and that Vintage.
If the books is as extensive as we have been lead to believe, this sounds like a difficult task in some instances.
Julian D. A. Wiseman

Eric Menchen wrote:If the books is as extensive as we have been lead to believe, this sounds like a difficult task in some instances.
Nonsense! All FTLOP readers have extensive supplies of Fonseca 1817, of Tuke Holdsworth 1756 and 1757 (side-by-side comparison, of course), and at least a little of Martinez 1869.