Port Vintages: Addendum

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Julian D. A. Wiseman

Port Vintages: Addendum

Post by Julian D. A. Wiseman »

The preface to Port Vintages hinted that there might be a publication of additions and errata. And some readers have attentively studied the whole book, a mere 390k words, and sent such corrections. So an Addendum is now published.

Links: I suggest waiting a week before printing, until Sun 20th Oct 2019, to allow time for any further comment and corrections (the first draft was posted on ThePortForum; this is also being shown to FTLOP).

But further data is welcomed, whether sooner or later. Please do send any extra material, comment, criticism, unbridled praise, and — most important — invitations to taste Dow 1878.

Roy: if there is another newsletter, please could this Addendum be mentioned in it?
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: Port Vintages: Addendum

Post by Roy Hersh »

I would be happy to do so, Julian. I'll send you an email. Thanks.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Julian D. A. Wiseman

Don’t print yet. Further data is about to come. (It never finishes.)
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Julian,

I have featured your book again and mentioned the addendum too, on FB and in the newsletter from Halloween. Today, post-newsletter, I also promoted it on Instagram.

In doing so, it is fun to see the people now clamoring for a "2nd edition" to be released. I know that you are unlikely to do so for a while. But maybe the demand is already there? Especially look on FB, as I spread the news of the addendum to may other FB pages where I typically see a ton of interest on PT wines. Up to you, but maybe a small run sometime in 2020 if you see fit.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I think it would be good to update the book with the information from the addendum, but then wait and add a few of the newer vintages in as well. Then release that as a second edition. Just my opinion.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

That makes sense, Eric. I am sure that Julian will do a great job, whenever we do see a 2nd edition!
Julian D. A. Wiseman

Hello lovers of Vintage Port, and readers of Port Vintages.

It has been awhile, and I’m happy to tell you of some good news.

As you doubtless recall, Port Vintages has an Addendum, with information newly come to light, and also repairing errors (the errors being much regretted). This is all in the Addendum, which has been updated. Hurray! The Addendum can be downloaded from www.jdawiseman.com/PortVintages/Port_Vintages_Addendum.html.

Please print onto acid-free paper, and enclose in the book.

Of course, even more information would be welcomed.

Enjoy it. Enjoy it with a glass. Stuff and nonsense to the self-restraint: enjoy it with a decanter. At least one.
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Thank you Julian! [cheers.gif]
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Yes, thank you!!
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Thank you! [cheers.gif]
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Yes, thank you!
I can print out at home, but only single sided. I guess I'm going to have to brave a trip into the office to save some paper.