Its the weekend, so what are you drinking?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Its the weekend, so what are you drinking?

Post by Andy Velebil »

The weekend has arrived...so what Port or Portuguese wine is everyone drinking this weeked?

For me, I've already had a 2001 Chryseia on Wed (yeah, getting a jump on things :D ) and will probably open a Kopke 20 year tawny Port tonight.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Scott Anaya

Post by Scott Anaya »

I am in NYC this weekend and have mapped out several wine bars to visit. I'm sure there will be many a Port to be had at the end of the great meals I am looking forward to in the Big city.
Scott Anaya
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

A local packy (Masshole speak for liquor store) has 1999 Quinta da Fonte Do Ouro for $5.99, so I thought I'd give that a shot.

Anyone try this before?
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I don't know! :lol:

I'm going to a port tasting at a local store tonight, but I haven't seen the list so I'll just be surprised when I get there.

I finished off a bottle of Ramos Pinto 20-yr old tawny last night and it was good to the last drop. It was just as good as I remembered it being at the Solar do Vinho do Porto, so I'm very glad I ordered a case. At this rate, though, I'll need a new case every other month or so!
Glenn Elliott
Kris Henderson
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Kris Henderson »

I'm visiting some friends over the weekend. They'll be cooking a nice dinner and providing Champagne, Bordeaux, etc. I'm bringing the Port for dessert:
* 1983 Dow Vintage
* 1977 Barros Colheita

Should be a good weekend.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

I have the remaining half of a Graham's 1975 waiting for me when I get home tomorrow evening. On Sunday I am considering treating myself to something special - perhaps a Fonseca 1966 8--)

Derek
Gary Richardson
Location: Clarksville, Maryland, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Richardson »

I opened a 1994 Barros Colheita and plan to drink that over the weekend.
Richard Henderson

Post by Richard Henderson »

I opened a 2000 Taylor half bottle for Valentine's Day --true statutory grape-- but superb --- for the weekend I am having some non-vintage Cockburn Special Reserve and a side by side tasting with the Ramos Pinto Ruby.

Both have an earthy , Bourdeaux element. This is as close to TN's as I will get. A little Intense Dark Ghirardelli Chocolate to go with it..... 8--)
Richard Henderson
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

I had an interesting douro dry wine tasting tonight. I'll post the TN in a few days, hopefuly! I was surprised by the great quality of Javali, Poeira, Redoma and Vale Maria were among the most popular too. More to come!
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
João Rico

Post by João Rico »

I was at one event yesterday from Revista Vinhos so i drunk

Quinta do Mouro 2004
Passadouro Reserva 2005
Ferreirinha Reserva Especial 1997
Vesuvio 2004
Maria das Malhadinhas 2005
Quinta do Monte D'Oiro 2004
Quinta da Gricha 2005
Barbeito 30YO Special Lot Malvazia (OMG what a wine)
Krohn Colheita 1982
Best Regards, João Rico
http://www.pumadas.blogspot.com
Mark DaSilva
Location: Mission Viejo, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Mark DaSilva »

As I mentioned in the Tasting Notes, Cockburn's 2003 vintage. A leftover bottle from a shipping mishap (not our fault). Fed Ex admitted fault, covered the cost. So, basically free. Yay!

Dad's birthday. He's Portuguese, so I broke open this one to celebrate. Very smokey, very fruity full bodied port. Very satisfied that it went over well. My Mother is Scandinavian and she thought this was the best port she ever tried, and she's not a fan.
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Good topic Andy... I was going to raise the same question.

To celebrate my newest little one having his "NG" feed tube removed from his nose/stomach and having a good 48 hours feeding solely on breast and bottle, I opened a 2001 Quinta do Noval LBV, unfiltered. Very very very good. Since '01 is my wedding year and the Fonseca Guimaraens that I have from '01 won't be ready for another few years/decades I will need to pick up a few cases of this to drink in the meantime.

Unfortunately, I am on call this weekend, so I do have to show restraint :? This is particularly unfortunate considering my boys, the Edmonton Oilers just lost to their arch-rivals the Vancouver Canucks (NHL hockey) but the game was filled with plenty of rough stuff... lost count of how many tilts there were. The boys played well, but were not helped by a few bad bounces and some injuries to key players. Oh yeah, and the officiating sucked! :roll: :) (I ref hockey so I get to jokingly rip on the zebras with a free pass!) ;)

Todd
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Grrr.... a week to forget about many things. My computer crashed, probably the motherboard. At least I'm going back to Portugal in less than a week :)

So now after a few hours of stupid configuration with Vista I'm back in business with a new computer and a glass of Meandro do Vale Meao 2004.

I had this wine friday for my tasting but it was a bit too hot. Now chilled around 16 celcius it is drinking really well. Good complexity of flavours with wet earth, licorice, cummin, ripe plums. The palate is showing the same flavours, good acidity, nicely grained tannins, a bit green though and finale is ok for a 25$can wine. 15.5/20
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Derek T. wrote:I have the remaining half of a Graham's 1975 waiting for me when I get home tomorrow evening. On Sunday I am considering treating myself to something special - perhaps a Fonseca 1966 8--)
:shock: :Naughty:

I'm in finishing off mode. I have a bottle of 1963 Borges to finish off and a bottle of 1963 Royal Oporto to finish after that. Then it will be a choice of a 1995 Coft Roeda or a 1989 Morgan.

Alex
Erik Wiechers

Post by Erik Wiechers »

I finished my Quinta do Tedo this weekend. It was still good, but there was too much acidity in the wine now.
Gary Banker
Location: Shirley, Massachusetts, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Banker »

No port, but I did have 1968, 1973, and 1977 D'Oliveira boal. I favored the 1968, but all three were similar in style.
João Rico

Post by João Rico »

During the Weekend Quinta do Javali Vintage 2004.
Still finishing today. Huge tannins this "bastard"
Best Regards, João Rico
http://www.pumadas.blogspot.com
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

or a 1989 Morgan
....???

Singha beer here - and more Singha - or Chang..

But at least it's warm and sunny! 8--)

Tom
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I am doing a presentation of about a dozen Ports from my cellar for a tasting group made up of WA State's top winemakers. I have met most of them before, but this should be very different. They want to taste blind and have a broad spectrum of styles. I am going around and around changing my mind as to what to pull for them. Yikes!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

OK, so the weekend has past a little....who cares!

Tonight I opened a Warre's 20 year old tawny Port (the regular one, NOT the Otima). Can't recall the last time I've seen this one for sale down my way. So of course I had to get it. I'll post a TN later.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com