1990 Niepoort Colheita Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

1990 Niepoort Colheita Port

Post by Andy Velebil »

Bottled in 2001

From the time I had my very first Niepoort 10 year tawny I was hooked on their wood aged Ports. I can't say I've ever had a really bad one. Some were better than others, but they have generally always provided a good drinking experience..and this was no different.

The color was more along the lines of a 10 year tawny with lots of red highlights on a light golden brown body. The nose has an oily spicyness with some cinnamon that is so typical Niepoort. There is also a very light scent of orange blossoms under the spices. The palate is heavy bodied with lots of acidity. The first thing I noticed was a good dose of orange marmalade followed by cinnamon, maple, liquorice, some glycerin, and some fine tannins. There was a slight hollowness on the back palate that detracted slightly, but thats just me being very analytical. The finish comes back and overwhelmes the throat, lasting a very long time. 91 points
04/02/08
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Michael M.

Re: 1990 Niepoort Colheita Port

Post by Michael M. »

Hi Andy,

thanks for the note! Did you try the Pocas Colheita 1989 in the meantime? If not, it's absolutely worth to look for it. I would be interested in your opinion- in comparision to the Niepoorts.

Cheers
Michael
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Not that I can recall, but I don't have access to my notes right now to double check. The few Pocas I've had have been rather hit or miss. I'll have to try and track a bottle down and give it a go. Thanks for the recommendation Michael.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Michael M.

Post by Michael M. »

According to winesearcher, there is unfortunately no merchant in the USA offering Pocas Colheita 1989 at present. Perhaps there will be a possibility to taste it on the next trip with Roy to the Douro. Is there a plan to visit Pocas and to deal with their Ports?

Michael
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

Sounds wonderful Andy. Just curious: did you age this in your cellar or did you find this old bottling somewhere?
But enough about me, what do YOU think of me? -- Johnny Bravo
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Thanks Andy, this really makes me want to try another Niepoort. I've had their 10-yr old and though it was very good, but I haven't had the chance to try a Colheita or VP yet.

Cinnamon, orange, and spicyness... sounds like mulled wine in a bottle!
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Ronald,
No I found it a bit ago at a retailer near me. Sadly they are all out.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

After three long, hot, and very busy days at work and not having any Port for almost 2 weeks I think, it was time to have a little this evening. Normally, I am on the computer quite a bit when getting home from work. All the behind the scene stuff here at :ftlop: , returning emails, etc. Tonight there was very little of that and I popped the cork on another of these bottles. I got a decent number of them at dirt cheap prices, so it kinda became my house Colheita. Sadly they are almost all gone, but the are solid bottles to say the least. This one was no different than the others, so I won't rehash my TN. Guess I just couldn't stay off the computer for that long :lol: Ok, back the the Matrix on cable.