1994 Warre's Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Otto Nieminen

1994 Warre's Vintage Port

Post by Otto Nieminen »

Warre's 1994 was another of my favourites with its dark toned yet lifted and peachy/savoury nose, powerful and masculine yet paradoxically elegant also. Sweet and dense yet light on its feet, structured yet irresistably drinkable despite its youthfulness, slightly herbal and savoury. A very complete young VP.

Skeffington and Taylor '94's were off-bottles sadly, but otherwise this was a lovely tasting. :)
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: Warre's VP 1994

Post by Roy Hersh »

A stunning version of the Warre's VP, which shows great breeding and class and imo, never gets the recognition it deserves. This is fabulous VP today and has 3-4 decades of life ahead of it. Peter Symington deserves major kudos for this achievement.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Lamont Huxley

Post by Lamont Huxley »

I've had the Warre's 94 a couple of times over the past 2 years. I also found it to be an excellent port. It's velvety, elegant, and really well balanced. Delicious! I can't help but like it even more for the fact that it goes for such an affordable pricetag compared to many of the other 94's. The only problem now is that I need to get a couple more bottles to replace the ones I drank... :winepour:
The Port Maverick
Otto Nieminen

Post by Otto Nieminen »

Roy, Lamont, thanks for the replies. I used to find Warre's the most difficult of the "big" producers because though always pleasant, I had a hard time pinning down a "house style". I still don't have as clear a picture of the style as e.g. with Graham's, but in blind tastings I have so often enjoyed Warre's that I am paying very much attention to them now.
Alan Gardner

Re: 1994 Warre's Vintage Port

Post by Alan Gardner »

This note is extracted from a Blind Tasting on 29 May 2009 of 6 wines. The tasting compared Taylor, Fonseca Warre’s 1994 and 1997 vintages. All came from the same cellar and were decanted about 2 hours before the tasting. The tasting notes are mine, but there was also a group ranking (9 tasters).
No specific notes on colour, as all were similar – deep ruby (although the 94’s were slightly deeper in colour than the 97’s).

1994 Warre’s (poured as Wine A)
Very open plumy fruit on nose. Leaps out of glass.
On the taste, fruit was sweet, rather than structured with soft tannins and well-balanced. Long finish. Excellent for drinking now.
My ranking 3rd. Group ranking 4th.