Seeking advice on the 75 vintage...

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Lamont Huxley

Seeking advice on the 75 vintage...

Post by Lamont Huxley »

For my birthday this past February my girlfriend decided that it would be a cool idea for us to drink a VP from my birth year: 1975. Not only had I never had a port from this vintage, but I couldn't even recall ever having seen one in a shop before. On top of that, I've never read anything more than a very mediocre assessment of the 75 vintage as a whole, so needless to say, I was a bit skeptical when she proposed purchasing a bottle of Taylor's 75 that we stumbled upon at local shop (regardless of the fact that I have not yet met a Taylor's vintage that I didn't love). She was really enthusiastic about the idea though, and eventually I conceded - hey, she was buying, so who was I to argue? It turned out to be a very nice surprise. Here were my notes:

Bright brick red in color with orangey hints on the rim. The nose is expressive and complex: dried cherry, cranberry, orange peel and coffee bean - there was also a bit of alcohol but this blew off after a little more airing out. The palate is well fleshed out: smooth cherry fruit and tangerine mingle with a mild spiciness and continue to evolve through the medium length finish, revealing nutty caramel nuances as well. The tannins are velvety and the mouthfeel a bit creamy - overall drinking lovely. I would think that this is one that would be best to open now or in the very near future - it's delicious but getting delicate. My first tasting of a port from my birth year and it turned out to be a winner. Great fully mature port!

So, as my girlfriend's birthday is coming up in a few weeks, and being that she was also born in 1975, she's hot to drink another port from this year. Though I was heartened by my experience with the Taylor, I still don't want to shell out my hard-earned bucks on another wine from a questionable year without first having some good advice to go on. I've searched the net quite a few times for opinions and notes on 75's and have come up with very little. The only bit of info that seemed helpful was that at least a couple of people singled out the Dow's as being an exceptional wine of this vintage. I've found a source where I can purchase the Dow's, Graham's, Fonseca, and Warre's 75's. Could anyone offer me some insight as to the relative merits of these or any other 75's that might be worth a shot? Thanks in advance...
The Port Maverick
Tom Archer

Re: Seeking advice on the 75 vintage...

Post by Tom Archer »

Graham would be my choice for bottle #2, but Croft is also very respectable.

Tom
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I had the Fonseca '75 last weekend and it started out spirity tasting and after 4 hours actually showed a little sugar on the nose and a typical Fonseca taste. A little light and not as grand as their other vintages, but for a good price I would pick this overlooked vintage up any day.

I've had the Grahams and Croft 75's and I think the Fonseca is a close tie to the Croft, with Grahams being better... Then again when isn't the Grahams the better one? :)
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

I'd give the Calem a try. It might be a bit difficult to find, but if you can locate a bottle it has proved to be one of the better '75s in my estimation.

Marc
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

If you can lay your hands on a very well stored Croft it will be hard to beat from that vintage (don't you agree, Tom? :wink: )

I have had the Fonseca and Graham's a number of times and both are very respectable wines. If I had to choose between the two it would be the Fonseca with a 4 to 6 hour decant time.

Derek
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

very well stored Croft
Well, my bottles of Croft '75 did come from the cellar (Shugborough Hall) of the late Lord Lichfield. He probably bought a large number because he got married in '75.

You've also had the pleasure of one of his Fonseca 70's, which I believe went down well.

Now, when shall I open his Taylor '45? :P

Tom
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

uncle tom wrote: Now, when shall I open his Taylor '45? :P
When I'm next at your house :wink:

Derek
Lamont Huxley

Post by Lamont Huxley »

Thanks for the recommendations guys. It looks like it's going to be the Graham's 75 for the birthday bottle (assuming we don't have any problem acquiring it before her birthday, which is May 10th). I'll be sure to post my notes after we have it...
The Port Maverick
Alan Gardner

Post by Alan Gardner »

I also recommend the Croft (if you can find it). For me the best wine of the vintage.
I also like the Dow.
Lamont Huxley

Post by Lamont Huxley »

I did end up purchasing the Graham's 75 as I was anticipating. Though it was an enjoyable port, I found it to be a step down from the Taylor's 75 that I sipped on my birthday last year. Decent stuff though. My notes are in the TN section.
The Port Maverick